Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to see and do in galway

Options
  • 23-07-2022 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi I'm in my early 60 s and heading to galway on Saturday with a friend for 5 days, ( two women) I'm looking for suggestions for interesting things to do and see. Also nice restaurant s and bars for my age group. I dont like it too crowded and trad music would be nice if possible. I'm staying in the city centre.

Any suggestions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

If you don't like it crowded then you picked the wrong week for Galway. Next week is race week, pretty much the busiest week of the year.

You could get out of the city on day trips to the Burren/Cliffs, Connemara or Aran Islands. That would use up 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Second for the Aran Islands. Galway city will be a mess. Tbh, I'd almost be tempted to see if you can cancel your accom and stay on the islands for a night or two.

I've no idea what bars are sane to set foot in on race week.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Read again lads: she's coming next Saturday, the end of race week. Saturday will be busy, Sunday a bit, then on Monday there will be a sigh of relief as the madness will have gone away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Ah, whoops! Excellent :) In that case, I'd still recommend popping over to the Aran Islands on the ferry for a day trip. Probably the Crane and Tig Coili's for trad, but I'm sure there are bits in plenty of other pubs if you can find the schedules.

Restaurants depends moreso on type of food one is after than age, I reckon.

Advertisement