Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secret Invasion - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

respectfully, I wouldn't agree with that statement.

Lena Headey

Charles Dance

Liam Cunningham

Indira Varma

Pedro Pascal

Bella Ramsey....

I could go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,505 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you cant list people like that without mentioning Diana Rigg.

very very true

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think both opinions are true as while GoT had a deep bench of respected character actors and some breakout stars like Pedro Pascal, as the show went on it did kinda develop "lead character" syndrome.

Emilia Clarke and Kit Harrington became ostensible main characters by dint of the plot's increasing emphasis on those two's fates. With both having no discernable career after the show; I'll give some leeway to Clarke though, given she has had 2 brain aneurysms and is apparently missing portions of her brain as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,045 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

As @pixelburp says I meant the big mains moreso.

You forgot also Jason Momoa probably the biggest/most succesful actor post GOT (to date) to have appeared in the series. Tom Hopper also went on to the Umbrella Academy which while niche was a huge success.

And GOT also had some incredible guest cameos like Richard E Grant, Max von Sydnow, Jim Broadbent, Frank Dillane etc. So the show certainly did have some fantastic actors, but the ones most featured have been exceptionally poor.

I was thinking Emilia Clarke, Kit Harrington, Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams, Richard Madden, John Bradley and Isaac Wright have all have been part of some pretty expensive bombs/critically panned movies since the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,299 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I agree and know what you mean, Richard Madden is in that god awful citadel tv show and he is absolutely fecking useless in it, his american accent is abysmal.

such a bad show, citadel. Chopra is so beautiful...

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I'd no idea she had health problems!

I've never really had too much of a problem with her acting, but there were some rather large differences in talent level on GOT that became more obvious as the show went on. I guess sometimes you get lucky with young new stars and other times they crash and burn. It must be very hard to gauge when you're casting such young actors, especially if they are expected to continue in a role for years without a proven acting track record behind them....

Small thing can someone please correct the title of this thread...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Dunno what you're talking about; title looks fine to me 🤡

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I assumed it was intentionally like that to go with the theme of not being what it seems. The real Secret Invasion thread is locked deep down in one of the other subforums.

Who are you calling a Skrull??

Hahahaha, that's ludicrous.

Crazy.

👹

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Why is the camera work so dark on this? Makes it frustrating to watch trying to figure out what is going on.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

One thing I don't like about shapeshifters in anything is when they do their clothes as well. Like when they are apparently wearing loose clothes, or a jacket that moves in the wind, is that just loose skin.

Or then like the Skrull they had in the fridge this week. He was wearing less than when he was captured, so did they rip flesh off him? Especially since they didn't know he was a Skrull from what I could tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,127 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm guessing the machine is

To make a Super-Skrull. Groot can grow and stretch like Mr.Fantastic, Cull Obsidian would be strong like Thing, Extremis would create heat/fire like Human Torch, and I missed the other thing on the list but presume it relates to Sue Storm. Could be a way to show them making a Super Skrull without actually involving the Fantastic 4.

The other thing was a frost beast. They were pretty visible, unless in icy conditions.

Strong episode 2.

Olivia Coleman fantastic as usual. Kingsley Ben Adair very charasmatic too.

So a good way to check if someone is a skrull is to cut off an appendage, yikes. I am guessing Fury's skrull wife will have a role to play going forward.

The excuse for not calling for the avengers is actually pretty decent I thought.

Only a matter of time before G'iah flips, if she hasn't already, who was she on the phone speaking to I wonder...

Seems the call was the reason the police were at the safehouse but the other guy got the blame.

The Council members all being there so quickly, especially given their statuses seemed a bit much. I know it progresses the story quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Few twists so far I did not expect to see, looking like these guys have been infiltrating all aspects of the mcu collecting materials and dna what we briefly seen on the screen there is probably the reaches of what was allowed within the realms of the show. I'm kinda hoping for a we were here all along flashback montage before the season ends so we can see just how large the invasion has been all along who what and which franchises were actually impacted but that might be overstepping the mark.

• Advertisement

Only got around to the first episode today and ehhhhhhh ... it wasn't great. Almost aggressively humdrum and ambled with the pace of 70 something Sam Jackson. And was an episode consisting of people telling us how different Fury was, how changed he was, without actually showing any real indication. "Show don't tell" has become a very glib put down - but it remains true. Olivia Coleman seemed to be having fun but everything else was very by the numbers. All very deflating: I'll give it a couple of episodes, but I wouldn't be racing to watch 'em either.

I noticed that too and it's a slightly irritating bit of laziness when it comes to shape shifting on a budget. Maintaining continuity between clothing choices would be a nightmare I suppose, easier then to just shape shift the clothes too - when it suits and is convenient to the production though, leading to these natural rabbit holes. Especially when one Skrull was killed, but still was wearing the same clothes after reverting back to his green skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

2: So glad Fury is in england now. All these other england location scenes or england countryside or views of england trains pretending to be in Russia with english people pretending to be Russians is really off putting. The Fury scenes in england then feel fine.

Ben Mendelsohn and Olivia Colman did great in their scenes regardless. They're really good in their performances.

So, let's see..

There's a million Skrulls.. that feels very few. Enough though I guess. Also the way Gravik was talking, he's either got a powered Skrull to fight the Avengers or maybe some powered tech... or maybe a way to have stolen the powers of an Avenger.... woah hold up... hardly .. maybe Hulk Powers from getting hold of Jennifer Walters blood?

The finger cutting off part was a bit weird, felt like they must have have some excuse to keep a rating there for it being a Skrull finger.

Oh, was kinda cool at first to see Christopher McDonald, I swear I thought they could've been doing something clever with him. He had the look n' feel of a proper X-Men baddie that they could've been introducing.. but doesn't look like it now. That he's just a Skrull.

Oh, and I googled the text on the computer screen in the show at one point.

marvel k99-83 24b

http 616

All I could really figure was a reference to Earth 616. Though maybe those other numbers refer to an issue of the comics I don't know.

I wonder if the Irish folks on the team suggested using Try a Little Tenderness 🙂

The Commitments - Try a Little Tenderness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Homelander

What is with most of these Marvel shows looking and feeling so cheap? It feels like they're being made on a low budget, but that obviously isn't true, particularly not with the casts they have.

I watched the first two episodes of this and was pretty unimpressed, immediately struck by how cheap and b-movie the whole thing felt. First episode was pretty bad, I had zero interest in watching episode 2 afterwards but struggled through.

Second episode better than the first by a wide margin but still not massively compelling.

I do enjoy almost all of the Marvel movies to varying degrees but apart from Wandavision and maybe Loki I've found all the shows utterly awful.

I don't know if budget is the issue, Moon Knight looked pretty expensive I thought? Falcon and the winter soldier too.

I think the issue for some of them was CGI which looked a bit rushed.

If you don't mind animated what if? Is very fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

They made fun of the fact that Marvel TV is on a tight budget on She Hulk recently. K.E.V.I.N. asked Jennifer to change from green to human off screen as the CG team had moved onto Wakanda Forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I'm still undecided over this. First episode I was excited by the cast, but couldn't be believe they used London as Moscow which just looked so off.

Second episode I can't stop thinking about Nick Fury channelling Shaft with his "I'm Nick Fury" act. I mean that in a bad way obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

OK, you all understand why an American production couldn't use the real Moscow right? And you're aware that most of "New York" is actually Atlanta.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Another decent if not wow episode.

If anyone can pretty much be anyone else....it kind of doesn't put much jeopardy if someone is killed, I am guessing the G'iah killed either wasn't G'iah or was wearing a bullet proof vest or she super skrulled herself?

The de-aging decent again, much better than in the new indiana film

Olivia Coleman brightened up things with the one tiny scene she was in....the Gravik and Talos scene was ace too, but outside of those it feels all a bit by the numbers. Ditto Talos and Fury.

Will Fury's skrull wife betray him? I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It is an interesting one. Given the closeness of architecture between Ireland and the UK it is probably being noticed more by those in the thread than anything too gratuitous.

I expect most Irish people wouldn't pick up quickly when other US cities are used for the likes of NYC or DC but they mostly stand out terribly to people who know the cities they're supposed to be in.

Advertisement