Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secret Invasion - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

So was the harvest taken from Dead avengers? or am I missing something.

So stupid that they can get their powers from absorbing their DNA... utterly idiotic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,127 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Not dead Avengers, pretty much all heroes/villains, even ones who weren't in the Battle for Earth in Endgame. Fury seems to have been collecting for a while (they say it was mostly from the battle in Endgame, but they also had Ghost's powers from Ant-Man & The Wasp). The majority were just collected (whether from blood or sweat or something) following the battle in Endgame.

There also would have been a bunch of DNA collected but from people who don't have powers, like Hawkeye, Ant-Man etc, whose powers comes from suits/technology or just natural skill.

As for how they absorbed the powers, it's a mix of them being Skrulls (and therefore biologically able to replicate them) and the machine which allowed them to replicate the powers too if they got the DNA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If they had used Sharon Carter in this it might have explained things from The Falcon and the Winter Soldier however that looks like it is going to be a different storyline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

only on episode two and never expected to see happen what happens in the final scene.

Olivia Colman is great (but when is she not I suppose) and looking and talking like someone’s Mum with the big handbag while at the same time being so dangerous is great.

Gravik is a great villain. The whole way he walks, talks and lounges like an ASBO is certainly new for the MCU. There is also a childish sulk in there I think. It has made me hate him straight away and can’t wait for him to get his comeuppance.

I think the Skrull Invasion should have been a Big Bad for the whole Phase . It would have epic.

I was wondering that if Skrulls can replicate down to the DNA, does that mean that they could an Avengers powers? Not Black Widow or Hawkeye obviously as their skills are from training, but could they be Spider-Man or Thor? The invasion was part of a season of EARTH’S MIGHTIEST HEROES but I can’t remember if they had powers or faked the powers.

I’m assuming though that in this series that is what the Daltons and the machine are for - give powers to a SuperSkrull.

I should have been patient as Episode 2 explained why Talos and his people came back but I think maybe that opening scene should have been the opening of episode 1. Or even have Talos mention during the episode.

anyway good to know it will be fleshed out a bit more.

They’ve come up with a decent explanation for why superheroes can’t be called in but if there is going to be more attacks that will not hold as it won’t make sense why they aren’t involved. Perhaps mention on a news broadcast that such and such saved people or stoppped a bomb?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Acosta

Overall, really poor. It felt like a total waste of time watching it. As has been the case with most of the MCU tv shows TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Its a twist on old mythology the Greek Roman and Asgardian myths where and when The Gods fought the Titans and Giants their divine blood fell to the earth below and from it sprung monsters rare flowers and animals.

In this case Fury sent a very young Gravik and other Skrulls to collect the blood left behind after the battles seen in Black Panther and the Avengers films now Fury being Fury would have considered collecting the blood and dna of heroes and monsters to be his ultimate failsafe but again this is Nick Fury and in putting all that power in these samples I would bet my good eye he added a crap load of failsafes in the event he died or was fired from his job or and I'm betting this was the sole paranoid reason the avengers ever went rogue.

Unfortunately the powers that be now at Marvel and Disney don't always follow through with good stories or obvious conclusions. I mean if anyone in the mcu should have been a big bad Skrull it would have been Agent 13 Sharon Carter given how she behaved in Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The Sokovia Accords would be the main reason no suited and booted heroes showed up only g man offsite black ops and unsanctioned characters appeared with the heroes now needing UN sanctioned clearance to take part as the fighting in this series was geopolitical on the surface rather than assembling to fight a big bad or a threat to Earth's safety.

After what the US government did in outing the Skrulls existence to the world Captain America IV will now deal with the geopolitical consequences while I'm betting Marvels will deal with the consequences in space and beyond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Homelander

It blows my mind that the budget was over €200m for four hours of content.

That would make it one of the most expensive TV shows of all time and it looks like a cheap b-movie.

For reference that's double what it cost to make something like Game of Thrones S7 or S8, shows known for their lavish production quality, sets and extensive use of CGI.

I wouldn't mind if Secret Invasion was good and looked good, but it's not and it definitely doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I really thought Sharon was a shoe-in for an appearance in this series!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I presume it has to be COVID, reshoots, and actor salary making up the guts of it.

The first two are multipliers and have impacted MCU far more than any other show or movie due to the interconnectedness (even if it isn't as obvious as in earlier phases).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The always chucklesome Honest Trailers managed to skewer this one pretty ably:

This show cost over $200m to make.

She-Hulk and WandaVision both cost $225m to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,045 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Tbf in term of quality for money spent Rings of Power will probably never be beaten

Edit. I mean in terms of wasted money! Not high quality.

Post edited by pjohnson on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,299 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The first season of foundation cost 45m seemingly....that is serious value for money looked 10 times as expensive

Havent seen it but just realised my post wasnt clear.

I meant it in terms of wasted money rather than high quality!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah Foundation's "look" and FX work has been repeatedly at an insane level for a TV show. Every now and again you get that though: TV shows whose use of FX belies the supposed lower budget compared with Hollywood Blockbusters. Long finished now, but way of another example the Lost in Space remake on Netflix frequently looked spectacular & I very rarely thought about the FX, except to marvel at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,299 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ah I took it as total opposite.

Rings of power at least looked expensive... citadel...yikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Homelander

The Expanse was also about $30-50m per season and it was absolutely top notch stuff, great sets and visual effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SierraTango

The Expanse is a fantastic show. Visuals are excellent, some of the best space battles on TV.

• Advertisement

The Expanse had a tonne of great industrial design, and it had the benefit of needing minimal greenscreen; no need for tedious "window" shots when the spaceships have none! So that probably made it easier to shoot the show when there was less worry about how to tie the external shots with the internal.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wytek

I believe Foundations FX work is done in by a company in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I was wondering if they were maybe using the same Irish set facilities as Nightfliers with its massive real sets..........?

Yeah parts of it are filmed in Troy studios there.

Just finished it.

It was a decent enough series but it wasted the epic and paranoia filled potential of spreading the story across movies and shows that Secret Invasion Saga could have hand. And it made no sense to kill of Hill and Thalos. Ben Mendelsohn is such a great actor, can’t believe Marvel have ended his time in the MCU.

I thought at first that Gravick was a decent different kind of villain but he was nothing emrealky but a street thug.

What would have been better if it was a Nick Fury series where he has to deal with a human threat - a remnant of HYDRA, or mission in his past that went wrong.

Or better yet it could have been a good way to introduce mutants to the MCU - Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D. had been keeping them a secret and protecting them for decades but a group of disgruntled young mutants (or maybe Magneto) become terrorists and Fury teams up with Xavier. Ritson make the hateful rant and the world starts to fear and hate mutants. It ends with Xavier opening his school.

Maybe that is a rubbish idea, I don’t know.

A great superpowered fight though. And done in daylight too.

I’m lost as to the ending though - just out of nowhere Gia, Sonya and her agents are in a warehouse full of sleeping people with no explanation of who or where they are.

Or did I miss something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,127 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think it's meant to signal there are other Skrull groups on Earth who have also kidnapped people and replaced them. The machines the sleeping people were in were similar to the ones Gravik's group had people in, just horizontal rather than half standing upright. But it'll likely never be mentioned ever again. Can't see there ever being a season 2 of this.

This show whiffed so much I daresay it'll be forgotten as quickly as Eternals and every other MCU squib. I managed 3 episodes before the boredom became incurable

Nah I still think Krakoa would be the best method.

I know that is an island nation of mutants but nothing else. I’ll avoid reading in case that is the route the MCU takes and it can be new to me.

A Nick Fury series should definitely have been about a human adversary from his past with some super powered henchmen. Save the Skrulls for movies.

• Advertisement

Other than LOKI, I don’t think there is any intention to make second seasons of any of the shows. Which is a shame as some of them have been great.

Advertisement