Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vertical chasing cables in walls when one has a beam running lengthwise

Options
  • 24-07-2022 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Almost a follow up question to https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058254773/should-network-cables-chases-use-the-same-zones-as-electrical/p1 but since that was answered figured I should open a new question

I managed to get some advice, but forgot to check an important detail and confirm it before the spark moved on. Above the left hand wall in the pic below where I was planning to chase to be able to drop a network cable has a wooden beam running the length of it. If you zoom, should see a couple of exploritory drill holes I did because I was checking to see if there was a beam perpendicular that would cause an issue there. Didn't think to look via the low attic space above first otherwise I would have spotted the beam running the length.

I'm looking to put in two network sockets, one in the corner pictured above and one near the opposite corner of the room. Ivwas planning on chasing the one on the opposite corner up vertically and then run the cable across the extension attic above and down the left hand wall above to then go through the wall where the second network socket would be.

The location for the future network hub for all cables is behind the wall on the left.

I'm assuming I should not cut into the beam running the length of the left hand wall, not sure if it's ok to try and drill a chase space out behind it without touching the beam, but also thinking that's either a bad idea or difficult.

The only way I think I can solve this is to put another chase on the right hand wall closer to the corner down to the height of the existing socket, place the second socket there and then horizontally chase for both cables into the corner then slightly around and through to the room behind the left hand wall.

Am I doing something stupid again?

Should the route around the corner be at the top and then down the wall between the sockets on the left hand wall and the corner?

And yes I wish I had been able to get the electrican to just take of this for me, but he didn't have time. So much quicker and safer when you can get someone who knows what they are doing rather than guessing.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Cannot imagine concrete/block wall having timber element integrated into it.

Based on that i guess its timber-frame partition(what is it ? knock on it - does it sound hollow) and you hit the stud or noggin, herein no need to chase, just cut out few access holes and "fish" the cable. Patch holes once job completed with same cut-outs, fill-in gaps.

Cutting into noggin a 1/2 inch would not be an issue, dont cut entire length of stud.

Socket box on the LHS wall likely is mounted on the stud(LHS of the socket, where your vertical marking run) - remove socket plate and inspect.

note: power cables could be affixed to that stud.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

If network hub is in the room behind the LH room then go through the wall from where you need the socket and then use surface conduit around the corner to the other, I presume you will have a desk there

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement