Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receiving a weekly salary from the USA

• 25-07-2022 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭

Hi, apologies if there is a thread for this already, I couldn't find one. I recently started a new job working remotely for a US company whilst living here in Ireland. I get paid weekly, I have a current account with my local Progressive credit union and my first payment was declined because it was outside the SEPA area. Any idea how I can solve this? Will I need to open a new bank account somewhere to receive my wages? If so any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Do they pay you in USD or EUR? Does your current account support USD currency? If not, can you open an account in the same finance institution for USD income? If not, you'll need to sort it out by opening a new foreign/multi currency current account somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Tabby McTat

Your US employer will likely only pay payroll as a domestic rather than an international payment. As such, all non US domiciled account might be off limits. A USD account in Ireland/EU will have a BIC and IBAN whereas in the US it will be an ABA and Account Number. You could ask if they will pay you by international wire. It will be very difficult to open an account in the US if you are not living there. Otherwise they could pay you by cheque (not as unusual in the US as it would be here)!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Thanks guys, I get paid in US dollars, I think Revolut may be the way to go. Regarding the tax, yes I am self employed so I pay my taxes here.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 VivaLasBegas

Get a Wise account OP. Similar to Revolut in that you can hold multiple currency accounts. Full us bank details and change to euro at competitive rates. Also get a visa debit card. Excellent app and cheaper fees than Revolut for anything above 1K

Revolut won’t give you a “domestic” US account unless you are from the US. They will give you a US account but with BIC/IBAN which is where you will probably run into a problem getting paid. Wise might be different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 VivaLasBegas

Wise is different. You get a US account number and routing number.

Wise is the answer so.

Advertisement