Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad renovation quote - other options

• 25-07-2022 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Having received a cost estimate of approximately 300k (minus kitchens, bathrooms and flooring) for a home renovation after being told it'd likely be possible to do for 100-150k including kitchens etc, I'm trying to figure out my best options.

Firstly the house is by no means dilapidated. The main issues I have are the bathrooms are a bit old fashioned and the kitchen and dining room would benefit from being brought together. I've decided a new boiler that doesn't require a water store would be beneficial and could allow me to create a bigger ensuite. Could anyone recommend the best type of boiler for this? The house is not A grade so a heat pump won't be doable I'm guessing. We did just get new windows put in (which the builder said we'd have to replace with his new windows) so they're all great.

On that, would anyone recommend a particular type of attic insulation, I've seen mixed views on the spray? And also would external wrapping be of benefit if we don't insulate the suspended floors? It is a big expense which would be worth its weight if it does provide good heat retention.

Finally, would anyone have a ballpark for knocking a wall (dining room kitchen) and replacing a large bay window with a small wall extension and if they have any recommendations for builders that would do this sort of small job?

I know construction costs are wild at the ment but I was fairly deflated at the cost estimate we got, but I've friends who are building at the moment whose jaws dropped at the price by comparison to what they're paying so I don't think it's necessarily the norm as such.

Thanks all for your help!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

What size house is it? (Ie, semi-D, detached, 3/4 bed etc).

That price sounds like a "I don't want the job" price.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gkcf22

Its a two story detached house around 160sq metres.

Is that a thing!? Well after the initial consultation they rose to 200k minus kitchens etc and I queried it and they said they'd come back with the final estimate on the basis of a much smaller design, and that resulted in the higher estimate again! So job done if that's what their plan was 😂

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It is a thing.😊

I am looking for prices myself for some work, but I know things are a bit mad.I am a civil engineer though and have worked with builders a lot.Obviously without seeing exactly what you want to do, it is hard for me to say why the price is so high, but it is possible they simply can't or won't do the job.Ring as many as you can for quotes and it will give you a good picture of the market!

Advertisement