Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice

Options
  • 25-07-2022 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1

Hi we just got approved for local authority home loan just got the information pack today and repayments are high and it's over 29 years and we will be paying over 100000 extra on the loan is this normal it just seems like alot extra to be paying

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Moved to Accommodation & Property forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Yes, totally normal. The interest on a home loan is eye-watering over the full term.

I'm not sure about LA home loans, but the repayments on a standard mortgage are mainly interest in the first 10 years and the capital barely reduces.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Thats the power of compounded interest.

The interest rate you're going to be paying, and the general terms of the mortgage, are far more in your favour than the terms which are on offer from commercial lenders to borrowers.

Yes- it sucks that you'll be paying 100k in interest on the loan- however, most people would probably be paying more than this.

It might be worth your while asking whether its possible to make balloon payments to reduce the mortgage term down the road a bit (if your finances allow)- however, I suspect the answer will be a straight forward 'no'.

The 100k in additional payments you're making- is probably going to be the cheapest finance you will ever get from anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Iriah251

Yep we were approved by dccc of only 205 and wev to pay 300 ... we have been waiting 5 months to hear back from sdcc that's the one we want ... can I ask who u applied to ?

Advertisement