Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deaths on Irish roads

Options
  • 25-07-2022 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Seems to be deaths on the roads every weekend the last couple of weeks. I'm on the road every day and rarely see a Garda car or speed van. People are either driving like lunatics or using their phone while driving. I constantly have people driving up my hole even though I do the speed limit, clearly its not enough for those in such a hurry. There shouldn't be any deaths on the road at all, but if there's nothing to enforce the laws then it will keep happening unfortunately. Please slow down and watch the road people

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

There's an Irish fascination on road deaths.

Unless it was a big pile up you don't even get to hear of a bad crash in the UK. The roads are closed for a 'police incident' is all you will hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jacktorrance

Well it should be highlighted that it's a person who lost their life because some asshole was in a big hurry

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Patrick Rogers a young man who leaves behind a wife and 4 young children. He lived in my community. An awful tragedy! a go fund me page has been set up to help this family. Please donate and share if you can find it in your heart. This board is full of decent people.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/funeral-costsanything-shannon-may-need

• Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well there you go.. at the risk of shooting the messenger you shouldn't be 'doing the speed limit'. You should be driving at a speed appropriate to the road, the conditions and the other road users about you, and whilst doing that legally not exceeding the limit.

RSA woman on the other day, her wacky solution and they love legal solutions.. is to reduce all 80kph rural roads to 60kph and all urban roads from 50kph to 30kph. Across the board. Given that they can't even be arsed to implement their current regulations, making them more stringent does nothing except penalise the law abiding motorist.

And therein lies the problem - it's not generally the sensible motorist or road user, although we can all make mistakes, that causes carnage. It's the one who couldn't give a crap about speed or drugs or drink or showing off, them's the ones who come unstuck sooner rather than later. So why not stamp down on that excessive behaviour rather than the motorist 5kph over a low speed limit on a wide road with nobody about.

Take the drink, the problem was never with the 'just two will do' brigade. It was and remains with the ones who think 'sure I may as well have six or seven pints and be done for a sheep as good as a lamb and little chance I'll be caught anyway'. But no, the RSA had to curtail the sensible rural motorist who liked a couple of pints and then toddled home the couple of miles. They stopped that easily. Whilst the crazy lads just carry on and couldn't give a f**k.

Also the RSA woman noted that pedestrians increasingly feature in road deaths. Whilst it's hard to exceed the speed limit whilst walking hone, you can skull as many pints as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well surely in those cases someone should be getting prosecuted for causing death by dangerous driving?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Economics101

@Furze99: "Well there you go.. at the risk of shooting the messenger you shouldn't be 'doing the speed limit'. You should be driving at a speed appropriate to the road, the conditions and the other road users about you, and whilst doing that legally not exceeding the limit".

Totally agree. The snag however is that speed limits themselves often bear little relation to the roads they apply to. It's routine to have 100 as the limit on N routes, and 80 on regional roads. I know loads of cases where N roads should be at 80 and regional roads (often re-designated N-roads following motorway construction) could safely be 100. I'm sure there are loads of cases where 50 and 60 limits are not appropriate either.

Brain-dead local authorities!

As for road deaths, the level of fatalities is much lower than 20 or 30 years ago. Also the number of vehicles on the roads and the mileage travelled has increased. We never seem to see stats on (e.g.) deaths per million kms travelled,

Advertisement