Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 Technical Help

• 25-07-2022 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭

Apologies in advance if this question does not make sense but I'm not overly familar with gaming consoles.

My two kids both have PS5s. One console is only 13 months old and the controller has stopped working with a message about a software update for the controller appearing on the screen. As the controller is not working we cant do the update required. I have reset the controller following some online instructions and this has made no difference.

Plugging my other sons controller in seems to make no difference as the cursor wont work so my guess is that the connection between the controller and device is broken. I've also tried different cables.

In an effort to fix the controller and update the software I plugged the controller into my other sons machine and now this seems to have disabled this machine. I rang Sony and they told me that the only option was to send it back to them and this would cost £249 and they would send back a refurbished machine in 15-20 working days. Gamestop have said they can repair them as they cant get parts and advised not to use any one else as if they cant get parts no one can.

I now have two broken PS5s with one only a month out of warranty and it appears my only option is to pay nearly £500 for refurbished machines. Are these my only choices or are there other options, as I mentioned this is not an area I familiar with.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

I would bring the problem to the shop you bought the consoles. Your contract is with the shop for selling you the PS5. They will try to push you towards Sony Support but let them know you understand the Sale of Good Act and know that they are responsible for resolving the issue.

It's common for shops to pretend they can't help but in reality they are responsible.

As for the actual issue your having, that is a very strange one that I have never heard of before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Thanks for this. Tried the sales of goods approach and was told that as its over 6 months since purchase I need to have an authorised supplier or dealer verify the fault was not caused by misuse and in this case it could not be game stop and had to be Sony or else the right to remedy would be invalidated. Very frustrating as Sony want £249 to fix or look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭steviebg

Jesus tough break, I've not heard of this before but have you tried putting the console into safe mode? https://www.playstation.com/en-ie/support/hardware/safe-mode-playstation/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Naming them A&B.

You couldn't use controller A on PS5 A and tried resetting it and connecting again. You then tried Controller B on PS5 A which didn't work, and then when you tried Controller A on PS5 B that also didn't work but now neither controller works on PS5 B.

When you say it disabled PS5 B do you mean the controllers also don't work or it doesn't work at all.

Did you reset controller B before using it with PS5 A or with the different cables, and did you do the same when trying it again with PS5 B.

If you've got a new enough TV and you used the right HDMI port it can control the PS5 so you could use TV remote to go into options and see what's what.

Have you tried the controllers on a PC, you can use them there and update them too. Or seeing if your phone can pair over bluetooth.

There's a lot going wrong for you and you can't be that unlucky so something must be missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 WebDevSean

PlayStation are really bad at claiming short warranty periods... If you have any trouble with any tech equipment and you're based in the EU then there's a 2 year warranty on all electronic items protected under EU Law. Phone them up and tell them this and they'll repair for you... I've had to do this twice with controller drift.

Under the Directive you have a minimum 2-year legal guarantee against faulty products, or products that do not look or work as advertised. These are known as your statutory rights. The national law in some Member States may allow for longer periods.

SIC: copy link below

citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/consumer_laws/consumer_rights_in_eu.html#:~:text=Under%20the%20Directive%20you%20have,may%20allow%20for%20longer%20periods.

• Advertisement

They replied with the piece below saying I had to prove the fault was not caused by misuse. This could only be determined by an authorized third party and there is no one apart from Sony who can do this. So essentially you had to pay them £249 to look at it to confirm if they should fix it under warranty.

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your PS5, however as you are now outside of the 12 month warranty, we are unable to replace or exchange this console for you.

Under EU Consumer Law, you have a minimum 2-year legal guarantee against faulty products, or products that do not look or work as advertised. These are known as your statutory rights. If a product or service breaks, is not fit for purpose or does not do what the seller or advertisement said it would do, you can ask for a repair, replacement or refund.

If a fault occurs six months after the purchase date as per your statutory rights, we require evidence that this was not caused by misuse. The onus on providing evidence that the fault has existed since the purchase date now lies with the customer. As the seller, we request that the consumer prove the fault did not arise as a result of misuse by obtaining a report from an authorised independent expert or other reputable means e.g. contacting the manufacturer and organising an assessment. We require this once the 12 months warranty has expired. More information on this legislation can be found in the following link:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/consumer_laws/consumer_rights_in_eu.html

You will be unable to claim your statutory rights if you obtain a report from an unauthorised/third party repairs service as opening your device will void all warranties. You will need to have your device assessed directly with the manufacturer in this case if you wish to claim your statutory rights as your warranty with GameStop has since expired.

However the fault was resolved about a week after I reported the issue. It was very strange in that we could not use the controller, then it would move the PS on for one click or action and freeze, then we rebooted and it went two steps further and froze and then follwing another reboot it went three steps further and so on until we go the point of been able to do a software restore. As I said it was really really odd and time consuming but its working fine since (touch wood) !!

Advertisement