Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Handy farming App - Record Events - Free

• 25-07-2022 6:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭

This is something I came across recently. It's a handy way to use WhatsApp to record events on the farm.

Set up as follows;

• Set up a Group on WhatsApp with one other person. Call the group Farm Notes or whatever .....
    • Delete the other person from the group.

I use it to record everything, AI details, dosing, calving, etc etc. You just use it as if sending to the group. I've WhatsApp synced with the laptop then. The way I see it, you'll always have your phone with you. You can even take a pic and post it too. The date of recording too is automatic, so always right.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Great idea, any field GPS ones anyone likes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Field Navigator is the one I use. Seems to be a few out there. I think MC Milking It uses it too. I'd only really use it for spreading fertiliser, but seems a good job. I think you can put in AB lines with it, but I just use it so that I don't over/under cook it when out in short grass and you don't see the previous tracks.

There is bound to be some good free shared calendar apps which would be easily searchable etc. that would be a better fit than using WA?

Although, tbf, WA has regular backups and no real change of obsolescence at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭emaherx

I'm not sure if many use Viber, it's similar to WhatsApp, it has a default conversation called My Notes for exactly this purpose and it's always pinned to the top of the list of conversations.

On a slightly less "Handy" but free and very powerful farming App, I'm using farmOS an open source farm management database.

I'm working on developing modules more relevant to an Irish farm and working on integrating ICBF, Google Calendar as well as my IOT sensor network to make it a whole farm software package.

Telegram which is like Viber and WhatsApp but has free access to its API so it could be used like @patsy_mccabe suggested above but using keywords and a few lines of code take your simple note and create a proper database entry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Herself will be happy at least I won't be sending random tag numbers to her!

• Advertisement

@emaherx - I've got Signal and it has notes to self as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Most phones have a standard Notes app too

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

I use a spreadsheet on google drive on the phone. Handy to enter stuff and have it all on the laptop then when get home. Just need to download google drive and log in with a gmail account. Open a spreadsheet and enter away. If your not in reception it still works, it'll sync with the cloud once in reception again. Then everything is there on you laptop when login to google on same gmail account.

Advertisement