Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is my health insurance BIK so high on payslip?

Options
  • 25-07-2022 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I signed up for VHI health insurance via fully funded company plan and the BIK deduction on my payslip seems a little high.

The charge is 150 per month deducted from my gross income.

Given my marginal tax rate is 52% and the below is on my plan it doesn't make sense:

Total Premium: 258.81EUR

Period of Cover: 11/05/2022 - 31/07/2022

Or am I completely wrong about how it works.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭relax carry on

BIK is the value of the benefit which is added to your gross pay. You are then taxed on your gross pay + the BIK amount. If the gross subscription you pay is roughly 260 euro per month and you are a higher rate tax payer then 52% of that amount equates to the tax you pay on the benefit received. Have a chat to your payroll section to ensure you understand the value of the benefit received and what you are being taxed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Green Mile

You can claim medical insurance tax credits when your company covers the cost of insurance.

Revenue will increase your tax credit allowance but you need to inform them. A lot of people dont know this.

Apply for it on your myAccount or give Revenue a call on 01 7383636

Advertisement