Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos faulty microwave

Options
  • 25-07-2022 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭

Bought a microwave from Argos - this one if you must know

Buy Russell Hobbs Worcester 700W Standard Microwave - Black | Microwaves | Argos

Only got used 3-4 times a week but it no longer heats up - went to Argos and they said as it's over one year I have to take it up with the manufacturer, I thought in Ireland the retailer is the one to sort it out. Previous microwave lasted at least 8 years so I wouldn't expect a new one to fail after 18 months

What are my rights? If it failed after 4 years or something I would just go out and buy a new one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

I have always brought my products back to the portlaoise store and have never had an issue for a refund or replacement, wonder if its worth bringing it to that one

• Registered Users Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

So it has worked for 18 months and now doesn't.

Its going to be difficult to show its a manufacturing issue and not caused by general use. Biggest cause of the "heating" failing is switching it on without anything inside or not having the turntable in it.

Basic microwave €45 in Lidl https://www.lidl.ie/p/kitchen-heaven-cook-like-crazy/microwave/p24405

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

OP, don’t fall for the manufacture BS your sale of contract is between you and Argos not the manufacturer no matter what Argos says.

Always remember the 3rs Refund, Replace, Repair 18 months is not a resonbale life expectancy for the microwave.

If it was me I’d be back to Argos state the sale of goods act and 3rs and see what they say.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

I did and they were having none of it - get an electrical report to say it's a manufacturing issue was their stance (called them)

If Lidl have any left tomorrow I'll probably pick one up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,008 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The effort and cost involved of trying to force a replacement here likely isn't worth it (that is an overpriced microwave for what it is but even then it's not dear enough). You're going to spend a few hours and probably the cost of a registered letter or two, whereas that Lidl microwave for 45 is significantly more powerful and also less likely to fail - simpler.

Anything under about 200 quid, and with a difficult to deal with (particularly English) retailer I just give up on these days. Argos were great to deal with before Sainsburys bought them!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Lidl are worse. Any item over 60 days and they say go to manufacture.

It'd be for the principle not the money. Our consumer laws are strong we can't be letting retailers ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Damn straight, OP I would take a letter down to Argos give them 10 days to reply and then if no joy open a small claims case then.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

its worth mentioning that after 18 months it is not a given its a manufacturing fault. It could be an issue with misuse as someone mentioned earlier. if its a manufacturing fault OP is entitled to redress. If its not they are not.

OP can pay for a report that details the type of fault from a competent tech, and use that as the basis to challenge the retailer & g to SCC if the retailer doesn't provide satisfaction. OP can ask retailer to undertake this action - i would be taking that course of action, but understand if it turns out to be not a manufacturing fault OP could be on the hook for the cost. Using the threat of SCC can produce results - just follow the complaints procedure and appeal if unhappy with threat of SCC.

In practice you don't get the 25 euro small claims fee back, nor the cost of a day off work, & a few hours effort preparing & filing paperwork etc. After 18 months op would likely get up to 70 % of the cost back (IE its not new anymore) so it really is worth asking yourself if the redress in court would even cover your costs in taking case there. And OP would have to demonstrate its a fault present at time of manufacturing - something they have not yet done.

So in my opinion it's not economically viable to take a retailer to court to recoup approx 70 euro back give or take. L1011 has made a very practical point in their post.

All those Lidl microwaves apparently sold out the first day - they must have all used to have the same one I did...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,656 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Lidl may send you to the manufacturer after two months but virtually everything from a drill to an electric toothbrush to a garden sprayer has a three year warranty. On more expensive items the manufacturer will collect and return the item. On a lot of other cases the courier company brings a new one and collected the broken product.

You are guaranteed the item will be working for three years

OP it's not worth the hassle. It's highly unlikely that you would get any compensation. The usual minimum warranty is 12 months. After that you would need to prove it was faulty.

Buy the Lidl one.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I don't want guarantees, the 1st thing any guarantee or warranty says is that this in in addition to your consumer rights, so I want my consumer rights. They are breaking our law though by sending you to the manufacture. When you buy the contract is with the retailer not the manufacture. Our consumer protection laws are one of the good things we have in this country and stores shouldn't be allowed to break our laws, the retailer should be sending the item to the manufacture, why should I deal with a company I've no contract with.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

My experience is the warranty is the warranty, all these EU style 'a television should last eleventeen years in normal use' are a complete waste of your time trying to actually qualify for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I had a similar situation with a microwave bought from Curry's. I emailed their Customer Services quoting my consumer rights & we agreed a refund amount. I can't remember the exact refund amount but I think it was about 50% or 60% of the purchase price.

You will find complaint letter templates on the CCPC website.

A lot of car manufacturers only give a one year warranty on cars costing anything from 20-100k. That is on every part of the car. Store the car at home for twelve months and take it out for a spin on day 366 and the engine blows up your warranty is gone. Yes some have a longer warranty but some are only 12 or 24 months

There is no way that any shop has the capability or the expertise to check whether any electrical appliances has broken by misuse or was not used at all. It's just your word. I doubt even if a manufacturer could.

Some manufacturers give an extended warranty but the conditions or costs make them unviable. No court is going to uphold your compliant IMO.

Contact the CCPC and see whether it's would consider you have a case or not. However I cannot see any court upholding your case without it costing you more than the item is worth

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Warranty & consumer rights are totally different issues.

You are still protected by your consumer rights regardless of any warranty or guarantee cover.

Post edited by Gooser14 on

You are but what court are going to accept a claim for a sub 100euro appliance after 18 months. The onus will be on you to prove its faulty. That is a hard ask. Up to twelve months it's up to the shop/manufacturer to prove its ok and they swap it out.

Like I said after twelve or twenty four months on a 20-100k car you are often on your own.

Slava Ukrainii

A €25 small claims fee and the hassle to possibly get about €50 credit.

And the OP will have to show that it is a manufacturing fault.

The chances are it was switch on momentarily without anything in it at some point or that the turntable was taken out and this caused damage to the magnetron which creates the heat waves. Basically, there are several user possible reasons for the heating to stop and if it worked well for 18 months, then I'd be of the opinion that mis-use caused the issue.

Well...

I have a replacement microwave

Contacted the "Russell Hobbs" service center in ireland and will have it on Friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

Second best news I have heard today - well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

well done OP.

PS your very 1st post was "went to Argos and they said as it's over one year I have to take it up with the manufacturer, " and that worked great for you.

You could have gone the small claims route, and it was your right to do so. But you actually used the manufacturer route and it turned out to be the least expense/least hassle. Well done. Being practical gets the best results.

Glad you are sorted.

Makes no difference as you have to prove that. Hence its always good to try the manufacturer as they want to keep their good brand name and will see a replacement as a good way of keeping loyalty.

You get some people who say to argue the hell with a retailer, run to court, scream on social media, when the easiest and best option is a simple call to the manufacturer's service centre (as you have found out)

Advertisement