Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tired all the time - is it age 50s?

• 25-07-2022 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

I'm tired all the time no matter how much I sleep. I have hypothyroidism for years, but my bloods are within normal range. I'm not anaemic. I'm not depressed. I've had no menopausal symptoms and have generally sailed through it. I have had a few stressful and traumatic years, where I had to work up to 65 hrs per week. I've reduced my hours slightly recently and now work 8 to 4 x 4 days per week. I wondered if I had some symptoms of burnout - I used to love my job, but now dealing with the public and dealing with office politics just drains me completely. 10 years more of feeling like this in my job feels like a ball and chain. There have been no bad comments on my work. Colleagues think I work hard and always go the extra mile. I always try and do my best and pull my weight at work, even if I don't feel like doing it. I'm wondering if it's normal to feel like this as a mid 50s woman?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It could well be burnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Hannaho

I think it may be too, but I'm not sure what to do about it. Dropping a day and changing jobs though within the same profession hasn't helped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

How long since you've dropped the day. It might take time to settle into that and not beat yourself up about it. Maybe you are trying to or being expected to work your original hours in less time.

I changed to new job about 4 x months ago. It should have been a good move but has not been without it's stresses, basically I have 2 xmanagers who can't agree on my role, so I have had little or no real work to do in 4 x months. It was an internal promotion. Some might find this ideal, but I find the situation frustrating and demoralising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

If you are overweight or having regular alcohol in recent years i would be checking fatty liver with the doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Start getting a moderate amount of exercise. Build up your fitness and you will feel a lot better. This should start happening a week in. A good brisk walk for 30 minutes every evening.

I doubt there is anything really wrong. As you said you are just getting older. It happens to us all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Sleep apnea?

If you snore or lie on your back. Might be worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

retire

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Bluespecs

Is your mattress too hard or soft?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You've said your bloods are within normal range but only mentioned one ailment. Have you had you bloods comprehensively checked? First thing I would do as it could be diabetes or any number of things.

After getting all clear there, ask yourself are you getting enough vitamins and if not supplement.

Next would be excercise. Are you getting a half an hour a day walk or other activity in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

You right NAFLD and type2 diabetes in most cases two sides of the same coin.

Thanks all for comments. I don't drink alcohol much - max about 4/5 beers a month. I walk or cycle daily - an hour walk or 40 mins cycle. Bloods for diabetes are fine. Roxxers - I would love to retire but it's not possible. I hope to drop another day at work after Xmas - maybe that will help. I do snore so will check that out with GP. I still have a lot of presdures - college fees etc so maybe ot us just emotional tiredness. I still live in a busy spot and as I 'very gotten older hate all the rush - this may be part of it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Start taking vitamins

Advertisement