Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At Your Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

Skid X wrote: »
    John is calling the shots tonight, Francis has hardly said boo.

Nice for a change.

Their concerns last night were mainly about the couple upsizing to a big restaurant so menu, the kitchen and food service and management were what needed to be focused on. That has always been John's side of things. Because there was no accomodation element, Francis wasn't really to the fore.

I liked the look of the place but I wonder what it's like in the depths of winter. Is it as appealing ? Have they got properly trained waiting staff now? It would be interesting to see. You have to have a proper approach to customer service no matter how lovely your premises and if you don't then, people will come once but not return. E300,000.00 is a lot of money to sink into am out of town business.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

John and Francis will be among the guests on tonight's Ray Darcy Show on RTE1 (10.05pm)

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2017/0415/867938-alesha-dixon-leads-tonights-ray-darcy-show-lineup/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

This looks like a big job!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Lovely house !

John pulls no punches!

• Advertisement

Lisha wrote: »
    John pulls no punches!

Tough talking John!

Damn that food is making me hungry

Good experience for her to go work in the B&B

Lisha wrote: »
    Damn that food is making me hungry

Great selection of brekkies!

Good experience for her to go work in the B&B

Think she'll need more than a few days!

• Advertisement

She seems very naive or delusional

Best of luck to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

They did a lovely job on the bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Wow it's a lovely house, she did a fab job doing it up.

But I dunno, it never felt like her heart was in it. It felt like she had to do it for her family.

You could see she was very passionate about her holistic business - could she perhaps merge the two together and run like holistic retreats there? (I don't know is that a thing, I know nothing about holistic things!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Wow it's a lovely house, she did a fab job doing it up.

But I dunno, it never felt like her heart was in it. It felt like she had to do it for her family.

You could see she was very passionate about her holistic business - could she perhaps merge the two together and run like holistic retreats there? (I don't know is that a thing, I know nothing about holistic things!)
    I taught the same,she seemed like a free spirit and not a type to settle down with her own business. Her dads heart probably in the right place helping her out and probably wanting to see her settled..a lot of older folks probably look on the holistic stuff as not a real job..
    To be honest it's the type of place I would like to go for a few days to recharge and have a sort of digital detox..no phones,internet or tv just a good book and walks on the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Just watching this week's episode now - this one is for the birds!!!

HOW is she going to make that into a successful business (or even just a non-bankrupt one) with that attitude :confused:

Beautiful house though. And a beautiful part of the world, used to holiday there with friends when I was a kid.

Terry and Anne seem to have got themselves a weekly spot on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Hope they get the WiFi situation sorted.

I cringed when she said she didn't want WiFi.

tinfoil-hat-and-tinfoil-cat.jpg

It really felt like it was the father's project and she has been roped into being at the forefront of the show. I was scratching my head when she describes her current job as her passion. Surely if that's her passion why start a B & B.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭seablue

Hope they get the WiFi situation sorted.
    It really felt like it was the father's project and she has been roped into being at the forefront of the show. I was scratching my head when she describes her current job as her passion. Surely if that's her passion why start a B & B.

I'd say it was the father setting her up with a small business. It will give her ongoing employment close to home, and she'll have family support. She seemed like a lovely person, with good people skills.

As some one else posted, they probably don't get the whole 'holistic' thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Skid X wrote: »
    John and Francis will be among the guests on tonight's Ray Darcy Show on RTE1 (10.05pm)

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2017/0415/867938-alesha-dixon-leads-tonights-ray-darcy-show-lineup/

Were you watching it Skid? I really enjoyed their interview. They are a breath of fresh air and so entertaining to listen to.
    Has anyone ever stayed in their hotel btw? I'd love to see it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

twirlagig wrote: »
    Were you watching it Skid? I really enjoyed their interview. They are a breath of fresh air and so entertaining to listen to.
    Has anyone ever stayed in their hotel btw? I'd love to see it :)

Hi twirlagig,

Yeah I saw the interview, really enjoyed hearing them speak at a bit more length.

I'd love it if John wrote a book about his business ideas and experiences, to compliment Francis's books about Manners and the more creative side of their business. He has a rare ability to get to the point and explain his perspective in straightforward language. They work so well together.

Never been to the hotel, I'd say it would be terrific. Anyone stayed there?

Bit late to the party tonight....

What a gorgeous house! But OMG the sheer SIZE of that for a project :eek:

What are they living on at the moment? :confused:

Awwww, de cutie little kitties!!! :D

Ooof, not so sure about that tearoom look..... bit dizzy-making :eek:

PUT A VALANCE ON THAT BED :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Ooof, not so sure about that tearoom look..... bit dizzy-making :eek:

Absolutely. I couldn't look at that over my breakfast!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

To be honest that interior designer should be shot...not doing herself any favours

harr wrote: »
    To be honest that interior designer should be shot...not doing herself any favours
    +1

All a bit twee and clichéd.

I did like that chair though! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Where I grew up - in Old God's Time, Crookedwood was on my doorstep. My mother, God rest her, would be able to fill in the history of Crookedwood House at length. It was run as a high class restaurant, supported by locals and people from the nearest town of Mullingar. I can remember family outings for Sunday Lunch, Communions etc. It was a real treat. There was dinner at night, maybe three nights a week. It was owned by a couple, but far as I can renmber, it was the wife's baby. Again, far as I can remember, the couple split - in pre-devorce days, and the wife struggled on on her own without the necessary support she needed to be a ble to continue. SAD! Memories!

Would love to see this place up and running again. The area, overlooking Lough Derevarragh, is gorgeous. The internet should be a great help, now that time has moved on.

Very enjoyable episode of @YS!

Advertisement