Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At Your Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

Beautiful location. I hope they have done the selling and built up their B & B business. Then in a few years time they might look at other things. The open spaces might allow for pitch and putt or some other outdoor thing to add to the attraction.

The tablecloths should have been plain, the polka dot was well OTT.

The market in Virginia looks beautful. Anyone know where it is?

Great series so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Virginia is in Cavan, isn't it?

Eyepatch wrote: »
    Virginia is in Cavan, isn't it?

Yes I do know that much :P I was wondering where in Virginia it is, outskirts of town, near the school, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Anyone watching tonight? They did a great job on that club house I think.

Lovely to see how many people were available to pitch in. I loved the orange pattern in the upholstery.

• Advertisement

Eyepatch wrote: »
    Lovely to see how many people were available to pitch in. I loved the orange pattern in the upholstery.

Great community spirit there in Shannon. Yes, I didn't think the orange looked great on the sample but it was brilliant on the furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Nobody tuned in tonight?

Just watching it now - holy moly, what an AMAZING building and location! (apart from when the river floods, obv :eek:)

A good complaint - the place is too busy to do the renovations!

They can surely make plans for over the winter (won't suit Francis and John in terms of the telly programme mind you! :D)

They were very reluctant to take the Brenda's advice. I think the umbrellas saved the day!

happyday wrote: »
    They were very reluctant to take the Brenda's advice. I think the umbrellas saved the day!

:D

It was all about the (half) umbrellas in the end..... I'd love if they returned next year to see what (if anything) they've achieved during their down season.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

It was all about the (half) umbrellas in the end..... I'd love if they returned next year to see what (if anything) they've achieved during their down season.

Feckin predictive!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Yeah, the umbrellas were a brilliant decision, amazing how a small addition can make such a difference.

They look great and are a real eye catcher from the other side of the river. They even compliment the beautiful building very well.

Very enjoyable episode! So funny that they were totally against the "nautical" theme, and then proceed to put oars on the wall and create a flower display in a boat outside the door.

John's place looks lovely. So nice to see how the Brennans work as a team.

Good interview with the Brennans on Ryan Tubridy this morning. The Grand Tour programme sounds interesting. I presume it will be on over the summer.

I like the Man from PaddyWagon's comments about the Hostel. He got straight to the point.

I like how they have brought in people like him and the Secret Shopper/Hotel Visitors this year.

Jaysus, that was a humdinger of a project this week :eek:

What was the big deal with getting painters/decorators? :confused:

Lovely paint job on the exterior, and badly needed. I'd have thought that alone would have eaten up half their budget.

But would they ever polish the fecking brass plate at the door - sent my OCD into overdrive every time they showed it :D

Yeah, Paddywagon man wasn't beating around the bush - brutally honest! But seemed to be the kick up the arse that yer man needed.

Thought the place in Galway looked fab!

Ooops missed it last night. Where was the hostel?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭orionm_73

Waterford city.
    I think going back a few months or a year later to see how the business is going would improve this show. Every episode seems to be about redecorating rather than developing or changing the business to grow it.

There was an odd bit in last nights show that they glossed over,

The Father retired from the Pub as it was getting too much for him, so the Daughter took over ... then the Father got bored and opened up a new smaller Pub down the road!

I think that was the last of the series, it is on again next week but it's a repeat from the last series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Skid X wrote: »
    There was an odd bit in last nights show that they glossed over,

The Father retired from the Pub as it was getting too much for him, so the Daughter took over ... then the Father got bored and opened up a new smaller Pub down the road!

I think that was the last of the series, it is on again next week but it's a repeat from the last series.

I think it was a lot smaller pub, one room type of place as he said no TV or anything..I can imagine it's probably just to keep him busy and he handed the much larger restaurant/pub over to daughter and son in law..I doubt they would be in competition with each other..

• Advertisement

That was a repeat.... why did they include it in this series? :confused:

harr wrote: »
    I think it was a lot smaller pub, one room type of place as he said no TV or anything..I can imagine it's probably just to keep him busy and he handed the much larger restaurant/pub over to daughter and son in law..I doubt they would be in competition with each other..

Yeah, maybe it was all agreed.

Even so, I would be annoyed if I took over a pub and then watched all the old regulars wander down the road to the former owner's new place!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Yeah, maybe it was all agreed.

Even so, I would be annoyed if I took over a pub and then watched all the old regulars wander down the road to the former owner's new place!
    That's true, maybe new place is geared towards tourists rather than locals unsure ..it's a little odd alright

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

harr wrote: »
    I think it was a lot smaller pub, one room type of place as he said no TV or anything..I can imagine it's probably just to keep him busy and he handed the much larger restaurant/pub over to daughter and son in law..I doubt they would be in competition with each other..[/quote
    Yes the smaller one was only an oul fellas place.think bottle of stout of the shelf, half a crested 10, back up on the tractor to drive home. And yes it was a repeat, sick of RTE at this stage

They showed that Achill episode on it's own one Sunday earlier this year as if they were starting off a new series. Then there was nothing for months after.

There's another one on tonight.... doesn't sound familiar..... hardly a new one, is it? Or so ancient I've completely forgotten it?

There's another one on tonight.... doesn't sound familiar..... hardly a new one, is it? Or so ancient I've completely forgotten it?

My Listings Guide says it is Series 8, Episode 1 of 8 (which would have been the 2016 series, I think)

"Hotelier Francis Brennan offers more advice to people struggling to make their mark in the hospitality business. His latest client is Caroline Workman, who has a plan to set up holiday rentals in the grounds of her family's country house (Repeat)"

My Listings Guide says it is Series 8, Episode 1 of 8 (which would have been the 2016 series, I think)

"Hotelier Francis Brennan offers more advice to people struggling to make their mark in the hospitality business. His latest client is Caroline Workman, who has a plan to set up holiday rentals in the grounds of her family's country house (Repeat)"

Ah - I only have the paper listing! Just noticed an "R" after the blurb.

Oh well, I might not have seen it before!!

The Wild Honey Inn in Lisdoonvarna which now has a Michelin Star was featured in one of the early series.

• Advertisement

Intesting! Hope they show it again.

Advertisement