Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Build Linux €1500

Options
  • 26-07-2022 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? 1500

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Linux, Software devlopment including CUDA

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Yes.. A few SSDs maybe a hard drive

5. Do you need a monitor? No

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Don't think it's necessary

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? Soonish no rush

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? 

No help needed

I'm planning to upgrade from an old and cheap OptiPlex 5050 with a 240W PSU to be used with Linux as as a software development PC occasionally and general use. My cheap graphics card is no longer supported by CUDA, upgrading it will require a new PSU so I think it's better to start fresh.

It needs to be quiet especially as noisy fans annoy me. Water cooling etc sounds interesting to achieve this but probably isn't worth the hassle. I've looked at MSI Super 1650 or 1660 as possibilities and also 80mm+ cards any recommendations would be appreciated.

Probably a Ryzen CPU. I'd like components with good Linux support which are more likely to be major brand name components even if they are a bit more expensive.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Jon Doe

Will you be playing around with databases or large datasets? What programming language? Any language whose compiler has a penchant for a specific instruction set?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

Hi Thanks for reply.

I will be playing around with large datasets but I don't need to optimise for it as I have a work PC for that kind of thing. This is just a general purpose "Home PC" with the ability to do some hobbyist stuff on it. Same for compiling, if I do need to compile large amounts of code it'll probably be C++, but again I don't need to optimise for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Jon Doe

If you're looking for hobbyist level of development pretty much any gaming rig will do. Take a look at his other thread:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058254931/pc-build-1500-budget

You don't need the monitor so, maybe you can you allocate that part of your budget to upgrade to a 5900X? In development more cores means that you run more threads simultaneously. If you do decide to upgrade the CPU, upgrade the cooler as well:

https://geizhals.eu/noctua-nh-d15-se-am4-a1579537.html

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

Here is what I went for in the end, thanks for the suggestions:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/HZp9yK

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI PRO B660-A DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard 

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory 

Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive 

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 11 750W 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 

I got it all from caseking.de for €1,256.91 including shipping

I don't have a GPU in there and I'll probably buy one in the future but it's not essential right now. It's probably a bit OTT, especially the power supply/CPU cooler but I wanted something quiet and I can reuse case, PSU, CPU cooler in the future if I decide to update the other components. Ended up going the Intel route as their CPUs seem to give better performance for the price currently.

Post edited by dragonkin on

Advertisement