Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vine Weevil?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Could well be, if you go out at night you'll probably catch whatever's feeding on it.

Nothing wrong with the berries in your pic, if some are going brown more likely to be drought.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Holly might be a bit tough for them but does anyone know if Leaf Cutter Bees will have a go at it?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Looks like a leaf cutter to me and minimal damage really.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭admcfad

My experience with Vine Weevil is that the larvae destroy the roots of the plant, with little or no damage to the exposed part above ground.

Then the plant keels over as the root system is no longer there no support it. Luckily your holly does not look like it has been attacked by the Vine Weevil.

If you are in any doubt have root about in the root system, you can't miss the creamy white larvae, which are normally furled in a C shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭feedthegoat

Thanks for replies, leaf cutter bee? never thought of them. Will keep an eye out and see if there are any around.

• Advertisement

The larvae eat the roots but the adults eat the leaves leaving u-shaped notches. The adults are active in Summer, before laying eggs in Autumn.

So do you think my plant damage is vine weevil or leaf cutting bees?

Either way i wouldn't be too worried OP, as said the damage is minimal and won't affect the plant overall.

Interesting fact btw is in one of those quirks of nature all vine weevil are female, they don't need to mate to reproduce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Looks very like vine weevil to me, they tend to eat from outside of leaf…hope I’m wrong btw…

Have treated for vine weevil so fingers crossed, concerned that the larvae will eat the roots and lose the plant, was quite expensive - impulse buy last December with lovely red berries.

• Advertisement
Advertisement