Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Change

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

"As a third contender entering the ring, slaughter-free food grown from animal cells is fighting for affordability on store shelves."

It's not slaughter free. Slaughter of a pregnant cow is necessary, in order to harvest the cells from the heart of the foetus, to obtain the growth cells.

Or go one better grow "your own"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭amacca

Is it just me or are both ideas fairly abhorrent.....I suppose I'm old fashioned but I want to eat a piece of meat derived from a humanely slaughtered tasty animal....

I can't imagine wanting to eat meat grown in a lab or petri dish from either an animal or my own cheek cells....can't see that stuff ever rivalling a nice tbone or tomahawk, bit of pork belly, spare ribs, short ribs, burger with right fat content or a lovely bit of slow cooked lamb stew falling apart its so tender or pork loin with crackling etc etc...**** it I'm starting to salivate here!

It's amazing what they are trying to sell to people and that it might actually work.....swap a tasty more natural product produced by lots of independant producers for a protein source grown artificially in a lab or a home kit controlled in the end by one or two large companies that will have so much power and influence they will be able to dictate policy to govts.....

I think we are a moronic species in some ways.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Agreed 👍

Not sure if these daft, "self-harming" responses to emissions reductions are intended to significantly cull the human population (never mind the cows). But whether intentional or not, that's the way it's headed.

The current food and energy inflation will result in massive famines across the third world.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭farmertipp

remember HSBC guy said a while back most of these fake meat setups are going bust an sales have dropped and they taste terrible. he got a fair bollocking from the vegans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭dublin49

it would appear meat production is inefficient use of land.It would also appear the climate is getting more volatile,rows of housing burning to the ground in the UK.towns washed away in floods in Germany,both countries with a climate like ours .I like to eat meat but will/would give up in a heart beat if it means my house or more likely my kids houses will be less likely to go up in flames if I change my diet/transport choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

I'm sorry to have to tell you, but what you, or anybody else eats, will have no more impact on your house going up in flames, than whether the cat has kittens or not 😳

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭jaymla627

It's a religion at this stage re veganisim, https://www.fooddive.com/news/beyond-meat-earnings-jerky-100m-loss/623635/

You can't reason with them, at their height beyond meat shares topped 235 dollars, at 35 dollars present day some bath to take for investment funds that bought into the hysteria

would you give up flying abroad on hols? does food miles mean anything to you? give up 2nd car? I'm not advising that but just asking. retrofit your house? problem is the major pollution source aren't being called out here. methane disapates after 12 yrs. co2 never .

also be careful of so called replacement meat. most of it is highly processed shite of questionable benefit to environment. rte have jumped on the band wagon and won't hear or report any alternative views or science that contradicts the vegan narrative

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

Prime time investigates needs to investigate the media in this country. What are the chances of it happening?!!

Same as a snowstorm in July in the Sahara.......... someone will be along in a minute to say CC made one happen last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

How can it be an inefficient use of land when marginal or mountain land only capable of growing grasses of poor quality can be turned into top quality protein rich food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭gk5000

It's relatively easy to grow grass...it just grows naturally.

It's much harder to grow crops.

Do plants exist in any nature anywhere without animals?

Most or all of the food we eat, plant and animal is the result of thousands of years of human endeavour and selective breeding. Not sure these greens realise this...you can't turn your back on this or turn back the clock without severe consequences.

Anyway climate change...the imposed cure will be much,much worse than the disease.

Meat production is highly inefficient – this is particularly true when it comes to red meat. To produce one kilogram of beef requires 25 kilograms of grain – to feed the animal – and roughly 15,000 litres of water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Silverdream

But what grain is used for grass based beef? Myself, I'm rearing Weanlings to year olds with a minimum live weight of 380kg, zero grain fed to calf or cow at any stage. idk what water they drank but it rains here in the west of Ireland 1 out of 3 days so the water is free here. The man that bought a share of them Weanlings last October was able to get them to 600kg+ on grass alone by early July this year.

I'd love to know where you got that 25kg Grain / 1kg of meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

No that's bolloxs. In Ireland most animal agriculture including beef is grass based. Because grass grows well here and grain not so much. And even then most supplementary food fed to cattle here is feed not suitable for human consumption.

Where you going with your grain and water? Youre quoting American production methods there where they don't feed grass at all. A lot of the water accounted for beef cattle etc in this country is via rainfall. That's the problem with a lot of the rubbish published on social media atm. People take it up and think that its truthful. When most of it being pushed by the plant food industry or similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

I presume this is a joke but then again maybe I am too cynical .If its for real then all I can say is that an honest response would easily get me banned .

Spent the afternoon driving around herding and would imagine the diesel burnt was worse for the world than the sheep and cattle emissions I should have witnessed on my travels .

Been kinda busy over the past couple of weeks but followed the Carbon target nonsense nonetheless .Does anyone else think that this time next year it will all be forgotten in the main ?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

In places like Brazil this is the case as cattle are housed most of their lives and fed grain ad lib to finish.

Many cattle in Ireland get 0kg of grain. Cattle I sold this year ate about 120kg over first winter and 150kg to finish. Carcass weight was 377kg on average. So that is about 1kg of beef per 0.7kg of grain. But like I said many cattle in Ireland get no grain.

This is why it is vital for the health of the planet that Ireland is not forced to reduce beef output as it just means Brazil will increase theirs, and cut down more rainforest to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭amacca

The world is like a tinder box right now

We could well have more pressing immediate concerns in a years time

I hope I'm wrong.....and fwiw I hope there are positive moves towards reducing loss of biodiversity GHGs etc.....but in a truly fair and transparent way where everything is on the table.....and the proposed solutions aren't as retarded as some of the current contenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Where did you get those figures it must be for the lab meat and if so I agree it's not efficient and we should leave it to cattle.

Animal feed conversion is much more efficient than 25:1.

15,000 litres of water to produce 1kg of meat? Even if an animal drank 100 litres of water a day they would take 5 months to drink that much. I can assure animals bred for meat produce 1kg much quicker than that more like 1kg every couple of days.

I think it depends, like in Ireland a lot of beef produced either gets no or very little grain.

The biggest driver of climate change is over consumption of resources.

A European emits 4 times as much ghg as someone in India. An American produces 6 times as much.

The biggest action an individual can take to reduce ghg is to reduce consumption in general. Less travel, consumer goods, energy and food.

Like there are systems that produce beef with less ghg and minimal inputs.

why don't you read local publications on beef production and the target weight gains achieved instead of the most extreme vegan shite and lies you can find

also if an animal needed 25 kg of grain per 1 kg of live weight gain then it would eat 13 or 14 tons of grain in its life time. you are saying we spend over €5000 on grain to maybe get 2000 for the animal? check your facts before you come on here making a fool of yourself. 7 to 800 kg in what most beef animals eat in a life time and down from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭jaymla627

So a 300 kilo carcase of meat requires 7.5 ton of grain, 400 euro a ton for grain ration presently, so 3k to get a beef animal in grain costs to slaughter, current factory price is 4 80 x 300 so a return to the farmer of 1440 euro.....

Your either misinformed at best our a troll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭DBK1

@dublin49 I have to ask where you got this information from? Did you honestly read or hear this somewhere and actually believe it?

What worries me most about the world at the minute is not climate change but the amount of gullible people with either absolutely no common sense or IQ’s that are so low they actually believe this type of s**te.

Did you sit down and work out the figures on that ridiculous statistic before repeating it? It’s been done for you by a few posters already and it’s clear to see there would be a lot of bankrupt farmers if that was true.

Do you realise how idiotic it makes you look for believing that?

If you’re so worried about the futures of your kids and their houses burning down you’d be better off to try and teach them to have a better level of common sense than the average person at the minute and they’ll survive just fine regardless of still eating their Sunday roast.

• Advertisement

Advertisement