Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Line - Saudi Arabia

Options
  • 27-07-2022 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭

Have you seen this new concept city from Saudi Arabia?? I’m not sure if it is definitely going ahead or how long it will take, but it looks amazing. It’s like something from a sci-fi film. At its worst it could be like a city version of Snowpiercer, but if it works it could be the future for humans. Wow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Looks like an absolute nightmare to me. Living on top of people like that would be unbearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Well Saudi is pretty much uninhabitable...for many different reasons...this almost dystopia style "city" will just be another reason to add

Looks like the sort of place where Judge Dredd would be moseying about.

Summary judgement and off with your head - i.e. pretty much what goes on there currently anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

Modern Kowloon walled city

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I was reading about that building last night, came accross this place which I had never heard of, brand new city built in China for 1m people, but less than 100k live there.

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/china-ordos-ghost-town/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Western media loves to write articles about brand-new/under-construction Chinese cities when they are at 10% occupancy. Then, a year later when those same cities are at 100% occupancy, how many articles do you think get written by CNN/AP saying "Huh guess what? The 'ghost city' is fully occupied now!".

By stopping to consider this for even a second you can come to 2 conclusions :

1. State propaganda is constantly being generated by all big states, none of us are immune to even the most blatant propaganda
    2. Western countries have no concept of central planning.

Basically, this looks weird to us because we are completely unfamiliar with this model of organisation, and that unfamiliarity is leveraged for cheap political point-scoring

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Some of the cities in China are truly amazing too. No, they don’t take 2 or 3 years to complete, but to do so in 20-40 years is spectacular. Schenzen is probably their best example.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Definitely not like Kowloon Walled City which was unplanned.

the Line is truly huge, 100miles long and the “mirrored” walls will be 80-100 stories high. These won’t really be like Morris but they will have reflective qualities to reduce the impact of the sun.

saudi’s population doubled in the last 20 years and in the last 20 years before that. The oil money pays for a lot of welfare but they need to create some sort of industry and I assume “The Line” will be a feature of that. No way could they sensibly build conventional cities and expect them to work all year round. That said, the money will run out some day or the Prince/king will change and this will not be completed exactly in line with plans.

Advertisement