Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pretty poor experience with a cashier, what am I doing wrong? help

Options
  • 27-07-2022 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

At intervals I go to local bank to withdraw money in different denominations, say 100 in 10's = 10 x ten, or 100 in 5's = 20 x 5. And so on but nearly every time the cashier gets confused. I have now taken to writing it down but even today that was all to no avail.

Today I approach cashier, pass in note with instructions and BANKERS card, using that slide system, also on the way but Cashier pipes up " You will need card" Then when they saw card I am asked, " Is withdrawal from this account" Then I have to explain the request. My note is handed back and cashier, starts to count out 20's!! I have to explain I don't require 20's. It was mind numbing.

At the same time the other cashier is a trainee but whoever is supervising leaves the person on their own and now my cashier is more interested in what they are doing than seeing to my requests.

To me it appeared as rank bad manners and a good bit of incompetence. Is this a deliberate ploy to put people off making using of the cashier facility?

Or is my approach wrong, i.e is there a better way to prepare my request?

All in all a dreadful experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

is this for personal or business usage?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭swoofer

oops personal

• Registered Users Posts: 40,406 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Is this the same cashier each time or different cashiers?

different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Aisling

Hi There,

Thanks for getting in touch here on Boards.ie.

We're sorry to hear this has been your experience. We will certainly pass on your feedback.

Thanks, Aisling

• Advertisement

You do realise that the correct interpretation of your reply is ' Noted and move on." But it does confirm my worst fears in that BOI is not bothered or dont ..... . At least I know now and can visit fully prepared from now on ie don"t expect courtesy, don"t expect accuracy, don"t expect a good result , be prepared for anything and above all keep calm as this is now the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Tow

This was standard practice when companies paid in cash, but I am not surprised it goes over the heads of todays poorly trained staff. Payroll systems would produce a 'Coin Analysis' Report listing each employee's net pay and the number of each denomination of notes and coins required to make up their pay. The last page contained the total of each denomination e.g. 230 £20 notes, 115 £10 notes , 120 £5 notes, 200 £1 coins, 90 50p coins, 80 10p coins etc. The company would go down to the bank with the totals and expect the bank to hand out cash in the required number of each denomination.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I had a very polite person telephone me and explain that as a Premier customer that I can get this and that, but if you actually go to a branch then there is indeed rank bad manners and a good bit of incompetence. The money spent on the first could be saved and used to train the second group.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,695 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

The BOI use contract staff in many branches now, as so many permanent bank staff were badgered out on 'voluntary' parting packages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Maybe you need to be more specific on your note to the cashier i.e. "Can you give me €100 in €10 notes and €100 in €5 notes"

• Advertisement

Did you notice that I did mention that I wrote it down!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Hi Swoofer, how much money are you getting at a time ? is is just €100 or €200 worth ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,517 ✭✭✭✭L1011

For personal withdrawals it would be very odd to have specific note requests. That alone is likely to confuse a lot of staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Not sure if this response is meant for me but if it is, yes I did. What I'm saying to you is to be more explicit in your note

• Registered Users Posts: 13,607 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

If I was a bank teller and a customer passed me a note I'd assume it was a robbery attempt. What an odd thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

As a cashier you generally think in monetary sums. If you were counting a multidenominational amount of money you count in euro as opposed to thinking "ok, so it's 20 fives, one, two, three". The easiest way to request it would be "could I withdraw €100 from my current account, all in fivers please" or "€100 worth of fivers please". You're inevitably going to come across someone incredibly green in the job or perhaps not concentrating but to believe there's a deliberate strategic ploy to instruct cashiers across the whole network to be just a little bit obtuse and confusing in how they go about their daily job is a bit of a stretch.

If you're finding that multiple cashiers on multiple occasions are having trouble executing what is the most basic request they can receive then the common denominator probably is you. I note you've capitalised the term "Banker's card" presumably in reference to your debit card. You may find you're using archaic or antiquated terms that are lending to the confusion. Judging by the tone of your post you're also possibly generating panic and anxiety in over complicating and make a big deal of a very simple exchange.

Advertisement