Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour De Beara - will I be able?

Options
  • 27-07-2022 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm a bit of a lapsed road cyclist (42 M)

I've been mountain biking on and off for the last few years.

I've just signed up for the Tour De Beara 160km.

Worried about whether I'm able? Just started road cycling again. I did 81km yesterday pretty handy. Felt I had at least 20km left in the legs but it was a dead flat spin!

TDB has 2000m of climbing.

Will I be able?

What should I concentrate on for the remaining 5 weeks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

Did it last year and found it grand really. I had done two 100km cycles during the summer and a bit of hill work.

If you get one or even two 100km cycles in before it with about 1000m climbing in each I’d say you’ll be fine. Biggest mistake to avoid is going too hard too soon. The section around Alihies is taxing on the legs so you need to feel good going into that. I got to Eyries stop feeling ok and after that even though you have 2nd climb of Healy Pass it’s not too bad because it’s a fairly steady gradient.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Bot1

Thanks for that.

Would there be many folks just taking it handy spinning around?

Or will it be all lads dropping the hammer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

In truth I found the level of fitness to be quite good and higher than the easier Ring of Beara. I’d never worry about lads dropping the hammer though. It’s not a race so you’ll enjoy it best if you go at your own pace.

I did it solo and got talking to a few people at different points but never joined a group. I overheard a couple of guys saying they were knackered at Eyries so you are unlikely to be paddy last if that’s what you’re worried about.

Get the training in and give it a go. It’s a stunning route.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

I'll be doing it at my own pace. have a good few events done now. Doing tour de kilkenny as a tester this weekend.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

I did it three years ago when I was a total novice and found it fine. My longest ride before was 89km. You always find that bit extra on the day. Go at your own pace and don't pay any heed to anyone around you, though if you can find an ally on the flat stretches for a chat and to share the load it will will help you a lot. The main climbs are not too bad, but as above the section around Allihies is tough going with a lot of up and down and sharp climbs. Take plenty of time at the feed stops and make sure to eat and drink loads.

I had a fella on a bike worth more than my car come up to me after about 5km and patronisingly tell me how well I was doing while also telling me to drop back as I'd struggle to make the finish (my bike and gear mustn't have met his approval!). It gave me immense pleasure to pass him as he was dying a death about 10km from the end.

I'll be there again this year after missing out last September as I was sick on the day. Good luck, and get some hills into the legs before hand. It's a super route with stunning scenery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement