Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Vodafone and Sky really the same line?

Options
  • 27-07-2022 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

We are moving into a new house and we signed up for sky broadband as they promised fibre. We had a visit from a Vodafone rep last night that told us that sky will only be giving us fibre from the cabinet and that they could offer us fibre to our home (through a duct from a pole on the road outside our entrance).

I rang sky today to say I’d like to cancel as Vodafone can offer us much quicker speeds due to fibre to the home.

sky informed me that whatever Vodafone could give us they could too as they are both are on the same line. Is this true?

we cannot confirm with any of the neighbours as this is a new thing, fibre was only brought to the area in the last few weeks. Sky told me this morning that we can get it from September with them.

I don’t really know what to believe now so I was just wondering if anyone has any info they could share.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Pomodoro

There are two main players providing fibre to the home (FTTH) in Ireland:

SIRO (https://siro.ie)

OpenEir (https://www.openeir.ie)

You can find out on the coverage checkers for each to see if openeir or SIRO have set up your area for fibre.

After that, you can see which companies are selling packages on the infra set up in your area. A lot of providers sell broadband on both the openeir and siro network. As far as I can see Vodafone and Sky can use either SIRO or OpenEir, so both companies should be able to sell you FTTH broadband.

Advertisement