Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 planes off the coast near letterfrack.

Options
  • 27-07-2022 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭

Anyone see them just now?

Really very low and not showing up on the Flightradar24 app.

The larger one seemed to have a pot belly for carrying something and it was followed by a fairly ordinary plane,which caught it up.

Really close together.

Like I said ,not showing upon the Fliightradar24 app .

It looked a bit like one of those fire fighting planes that scoop up water but I don't think we have any large wildfires near -or that we use those methods to fight them in this country anyway,do we?

Heading North East ,I would say.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,582 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's a survey for a marine cable ongoing northwest of Inis Mór, not sure if that's related to them.

Boats related to that are visible on Marine Traffic...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

Maybe someone saw them..

Wonder why they wouldn't be on the Flightradar app though?Coastguard copters show up.( and private planes)

I think they were still in the air when I checked.

Too low?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

A flight of 2 Irish Air Corps Aircraft, using the callsign KRAKEN, Larger aircraft was CHARLIE253 which is a Casa CN235 Maritime Patrol Aircraft from 101 Maritime Surveillance & Airlift Squadron, 1 Operations Wing of the Irish Air Corps, the "pot belly" is the housing for the aircrafts search radar. The 2nd aircraft was an Irish Air Corps PC12NG SPECTRE ISTAR Aircraft from 104 Army Cooperation Squadron, 1 Operations Wing of the Irish Air Corps. It was a training flight. You wont see them on FR24 as FR24 actively blocks Military traffic & when operating low level. PC12 Callsign was either XRAY or SHADOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

Them's the two aircraft I saw alright.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

No prob, ditch FR24, this is the best & free: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/ open the map, press "U" in the top right corner of the screen to show only Military worldwide & Ireland, unless they are engaged in actual Military Operations including in Ireland they will be visible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement