Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colitis and the future

• 28-07-2022 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Well folks. So I've been quite ill lately, recently been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. Couple weeks now on the steroids for treatment, and definitely on the road to recovery. Been told by the doctor's, that my career as a climbing arborist is pretty much over, so that's been a massive blow mentally. Still in early 30s, was extremely for prior to this absolutely beating my bodies taken, was running 50min 10ks and so on. Main question is I suppose, if you have the unfortunate similar diagnosis, what has your recovery, future been like? Searching change of career, for less physical and mental stress, and as mines auto-immune and not dietary, is there anything you've found that triggers it? Cheers folks, all advise and chat welcome, hopefully can climb out of this hole sooner rather than later

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

I was diagnosed with Crohn's in my mid 20's, got very ill in my early 30's. Ended up with a 9 week hospital stay and they ended up removing half my intestines. I'm now 5 years on, I haven't felt as well as I do now. I can do everything I did before hand and more. I the height of my illness i got up one morning for work, went down stairs was so tired i sat on the couch and physically couldn't move. That's when i was admitted to hospital.

I was an extreme case, guess what I'm trying to say it is hard now but it will get better. Once things are under control you will be surprised and what you can continue to do. Focus on getting better, don't down play any symptoms and do what the doctors say.

I had no triggers, and i can pretty much eat what I want now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

Hi I’m 62 , diagnosed when I was 26 , suffered on and off for years , got some long periods of remission (7years was the longest) , got an sub total colectomy five years ago ( ostomy ie a bag) and it changed my life , best thing I ever did ,so if you have to go down that road it’s not the end of the road ,

however there are new Superdrug’s being developed all the time , they can make living a normal life a reasonable expectation

I would not give up on your chosen work just yet ,

any questions on any aspect feel free to ask me .

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭dipper.meath16

Cheers gents, it's just feels very life changing at the moment, hard to get the head around, haven't worked in weeks and considering I spent day in day out climbing trees and feeling strong and fit, I feel like half a man at the minute. I know I've got diagnosed now and steroid treatment Seems to be working and it'll just take time to get back near normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

Once it's under control hopefully you will still be able to do the same work! Steriods will make you feel alot better, just watch out for the side effects they can be pretty bad depending how long you are on them. If it's just 6 or 8 weeks you shouldn't notice to much.

It's hard at the begining but you will get used to what you are able for. Fingers crossed you go into remission pretty fast!

There is an episode of the Two Norries Podcast where Thai Boxing Champion Aaron McGahey comes on to talk about his ulcerative colitis. Perhaps you can find some information and inspiration from that?

It's episode number #56 and you can find it on you tube.

Hah it's like the third time in a week I happened to read a thread where mentioning the Two Norries was helpful. If this keeps up I will start looking like I am shilling for them. But they do good work talking about topics I rarely see covered elsewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement