Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

31 year old car. 710 tax!!

Options
  • 28-07-2022 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have an old car (1991) in the garage that's been off the road since 2007. It obviously hasn't been taxed or NCT'd since then either.

I state that it's off the road when it comes to tax renewal but I thought this year that the price of the renewal would change to 56 euro and not 710 euro.

I might have read somewhere that the car has to be taxed on the old rate again @710 before you can avail of the classic tax @56.

Is this true??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

You need to change the tax classification yourself to vintage, it doesn't happen automatically

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jason_Arch

Use form RF111 and in Section 4, under Other, write in Change to Vintage Tax and send to Shannon along with the VRC. All other sections except Section 1 and 8 can be left blank

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Magown3

I didn't know that, thanks guys. I'll download the form now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭standardg60

Is it still 30 years? Thought i'd read somewhere that it had been raised to 35. It's still a disgrace though, 20 year old cars have surely paid their way, but as usual it all comes down to vested interests discouraging people to run older cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I just bring the logbook into the tax office and they'll fill out the form to change over the tax classification

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

It's still 30 years and a lad I work with was told by the motor tax office when he went to change his 1992 to vintage this week its the January the year it turns 30 , not the anniversary of its first registration that the tax class can be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭w124man

Depends which county you reside in. Certainly this is the case for Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

does the car have to be taxed though, that's the question. DCC tax office just sent me back a RF111 saying the car needs to be taxed first.

Cannot get an answer from the tax office

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jason_Arch

I actually tried to do it the way I said and I got a phonecall from the local tax office saying that it needs to be taxed and it needs to be insured. After a bit of toing and froing with me saying that it has been declared off the road the past few years and will continue to be for the foreseeable then it is unreasonable of them to expect me to tax it and to have insurance on it. She seemed to accept my argument and said she would send back out the RF111 form and my tax book along with form RF150, to declare it off the road, and to send all back in to her. That was a good few weeks now though so I honestly don't know what the status is with it.

The only reason I'm doing the changeover to the vintage tax now is that it is a 91 and, as I said to her on the phone, I would have zero faith in the government not to suddenly change the policy regarding the vintage tax status of a certain age of car so I would rather go through the hoops now and not have to worry about doing it when I finally get around to getting the car on the road again, be it next year or in 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

There's a reasonable risk they will do something that involves squeezing more money from people who aren't welfare professionals, and perhaps use climate change as the tax pretext or maybe for helping the 'disadvantaged' or refugees, and now their commission proposes reducing the size of tax free gifts from parents to children, or do God knows what. Mine was a simpler issue with a motorbike on the road and just bringing the RF111 and docs to the DCC motor tax office in Smithfield. The full rate or classic tax for them is at present not too bad.

The thread issue is likely a common one for more than a few classic owners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

Right, here's the definitive story from the tax office.

The Tax Office (Blackhall Place) state that a Vin/Vet vehicle must be taxed in order for it to be transferred to €56 rate.

If your vehicle is out of tax, they send out a letter with a debit/credit card form. If you fill this out they will debit you €56 and tax the car from there on in.

What happened with me is that the Tax Office stated in a letter that the vehicle must be taxed at the prevailing rate before they can convert it. So I went and paid the €600-odd to tax it for a quarter. When I sent this tax disc and form in to the guy in the Tax Office, he rang me back and stated that the letter was worded in a confusing manner.

He then refunded me €600 - €56 to my card, and a Vin/Vet €56 tax disc was sent out to me.

So as long as you can reach a human in the tax office, you can get your out-of-tax Vin/Vet car retaxed at a €56 rate, eventually.

The guy I was dealing with was called Carl, an EO in Blackhall Place.

Advertisement