Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental Agreement

Options
  • 28-07-2022 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Is it possible to buy a rental agreement somewhere? Or is there a standard template for renting out a room in a house? Any advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

If you're letting a room in your house do not give a lease!! You'll be granting more rights than you need to. A simple list of rules, payment method and date and agreed notice period on both sides is all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

here's a template I downloaded. Its gives a good outline and you can change whatever parts you like.

Very important to have a rental agreement.

Ignore above post. You can't "lease" out a room, so its a mute point to say "do not give a lease" as its just not possible.

Room rental does not come under RTB, so very important to have agreed rules that are unambiguous and can easily be referred to. I would emphasis tidiness, overnight visitors, non smoking and use of heaters (can eat electricity)

Make sure the tenant has a day to read it and agree any changes that they may want.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Important detail.

Are join the homeowner.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Spelling error.

It should read

Are you the homeowner

I said its a template - I simply downloaded it. The OP needs to go through it and use it as a basis for what they want.

Here's the site https://frugalpersonalfinance.com/how-to-write-your-own-tenancy-agreement-for-rent-a-room-in-ireland/

There are some many adverts that you think are the download click, i thought it was better to upload it as the actual click for the download is at the very very bottom in green past all the ads saying "download" which the publisher hope you will click to give them income and pout stupid software on your pc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'm on my third lodger and always do as I posted above. It was people on here who said not to give a "lease" and it's always been fine. There's been lots of threads on here from homeowners who've had problem licencees but were stuck with them because they had signed agreements that said 4 weeks notice.

then put 7 days as the notice period and no notice in the case of theft or violent behaviour. But without a signed agreement of some sorts, you leave yourself very open to problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

What are you on about?

If the op lives in the house, the person renting the room is not a tenant, they are a guest. If they cause any problem, out they go. Having a signed agreement would give more rights to the renter, and less than necessary to the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

I never saw an agreement when I rented rooms, nor did I ever give one when I rented out a room in my place. In the end, it's not worth the paper it is written on. Either you get along and everything is great, or you don't and the licensee moves out, of if they refuse, you can kick them out (they have sweet fa rights).

Back when I rented a room in my place, I had 5 different people renting. All 4 left on friendly terms when they decided to move on. One had to be told "it's not working out" after a few months (as it turned out he was a bit of an alco and got messy/aggressive when drunk), expecting him to be gone within a week or two. It took him six weeks to find an alternative (mainly due to sheer laziness on his part), but I was happy to extend it if it meant a peaceful exit.

When renting a room, you treat the house/apartment as both your homes (with the benefit that legally it is only recognised as your home). As long as everybody treats each other with respect and consideration, it works out fine. If I was to go back to my days of renting, I will be quite honest with you - if you showed me a contract etc, I would probably decline. Not because I am a bad housemate, but because you would come across as really anal and difficult to live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

I would disagree with the above posters template. I would provide a list of house rules - when rent is due, smoking policy, overnight guests etc etc but keep it brief. I would certainly not be committing to a one year contract. If you were to put in a time frame I’d say 3 months and then to role on month by month by mutual consent.

At the end of the day, it’s not a tenant - it’s a licensee. As such they have no real rights. They are not protected by the RTB etc.

curther information is available on citizens information and the revenue websites. You can look it up from the tenants point of view as well as the landlords

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Found your post after a quick Google and it was exactly what I needed thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnRock

There's a few things to note which could be added to the above template:

• Non-assignment
    • Pets allowed / not allowed
    • Return of Deposit
    • Inventory of items in bedroom and condition

Advertisement