Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

URC 2022 Thread

191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,867 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Saffers play 6 games in Europe in URC and 2 in Champions Cup

Simple solution would be for them to come to Europe twice for 4 matches each time. 3 URC rounds before or after a Champions Cup round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Thing I don't quite understand is, weren't long tours one of their biggest complaints with super rugby?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,605 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The time zone difference was a big one, having games on super early if they were in Aus or NZ. I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

When do the actual, confirmed fixtures normally appear (IIRC they just release "weekend of" dates initially)? I'm kinda half thinking a trip to South Africa next year might be an option for "summer" holiday. Take in two matches a week apart in two cities, add on a week on a safari, or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,867 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

South Africa are what I would call a big fish in a small pond. Their options are either doing more tours of shorter duration or fewer tours of longer duration

As it stands they play 8 games in Europe, 6 URC and 2 Champions Cup. In the last full SR season (that they participated in) they were due to play in NZ twice, Australia/Japan twice and Argentina once but most of their 5 tour games were at ungodly hours of the morning. The 8 guaranteed home games in SR Vs 11 in URC/CC surely helps as well

Also worthy to note that they have 20 guaranteed games and up to 7 knockout games every season across the 2 competitions Vs 16 regular and up to 3 knockout with Super Rugby which all equates to more money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,466 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

5000 made the trip, with some reports even claiming a figure close to double that

Whoever wrote those reports is high on something. I don't even believe the 5,000 figure (suspect if there were 5k Munster fans it included a hefty chunk of local Irish in SA already).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that it was mentioned in the pre match PR that up to 5000 were expected to travel. I think it ended up being somewhere closer to 2500 (still pretty damn good).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Martin Anayi said it in an interview, but it was very offhand and not specific. 2500 on that short notice and with the logistics involved is still super impressive. You would have needed multiple charter flights to have a hope of getting 5k down there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Blut2

Interesting that Leinster didn't make the top 5 most watched teams and Connacht did.

The figures also really show the TV viewership value the Saffers are bringing to the table.

• Advertisement
Advertisement