Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aircraft displaying green lights only

Options
  • 29-07-2022 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭

In what circumstances would something like this happen?

Email from brother:

"We're away in Devon and [we] just spotted a very low flying plane directly over us. It sounded like it was a twin engined turboprop to me but couldn't see the outline against the night sky. 

The really weird thing was it had only green external lights. One forward of the wings and one on each main wing tip. "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Maybe a military aircraft with formation lights, sometimes nicknamed "slime lights", presumably for their colour in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thanks. I would have thought they would go for red, as it is the most visible wave length for humans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formation_light

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

They're not meant to be highly visible as they are intended for aircraft flying close together, including into combat areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

They use green as it does not affect there night vision goggles or head mounted night vision.

Green is also less likely colour to affect natural night vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

"Green is also less likely colour to affect natural night vision." - I thought that red was the best colour for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Osprey ones are epic!

Advertisement