Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mygov.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭pelluci

Wrong address. The correct one is MyGovID.ie. My welfare.ie is the address for all Social Welfare applications or queries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Thanks for that, I'll try again.

Managed to sort that out thanks, was getting information for my son. However, I have an unrelated question, can a couple register for a MyGovID account using only one mobile phone number? I've been googling and getting nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,029 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I don't believe so, an individual PPSN number is required to set up a MyGovID and one phone number and be absolutely sure you use a correct mobile number and accessible email address, an absolute nightmare if you don't.

Mywelfare account also.

These accounts, services are offered on individual taxpayer or SW recepient basis, not couples or families, for a host of reasons, including security and data protection obligations.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭beachhead

Correct info posted - mygovid.ie and mywelfare.ie One person.1 PPSN,1 email address,1 phone number.All unique per person per account

• Advertisement

Ah yes I do understand what you both say Dempo and Beachhead, but I maybe wasn't clear. I meant if a husband and wife both register separately with their individual PPS numbers and individual email addresses but they only have one mobile phone between them, can they both use the same mobile number?

I can't be sure but it's highly unlikely you'll be able to use one mobile for two independent mygovid accounts.

They really are very strict about processes and security and rightly so, once accounts set up, the mobile number is crucial as each customer recieves a verification text as part of log in process. So use individual numbers and be sure those numbers are active and on hand when logging in.

Yes I understand the strict security all right, and in this case the phone is basically used as a 'house' phone. I see your point though and it looks like its better to have a second phone. It means buying a new phone for the spouse who doesn't even want it but will have to be made to have it I suppose. Thanks all.

Do you both not have a separate mobile Number 🤔 I'm not prying but that seems odd in this this day and age, I'd personally love to get rid of my mobile phone but can't do with out due to new Banking, Online purchases and indeed Government services requiring 2 step verification.

No they don't. They are OAP's so living on the pension can mean there is a tight rein on the budget. I suppose training in the spouse can be done over time but getting them to pay for data on two phones, how much would that set them back on top of groceries, medical bills, house insurance, life insurance, motor insurance, utilities, and home maintenance. If anyone can advise the cheapest route to go it would be appreciated.

• Advertisement

P.S. Actually, it's not that odd, even in this day and age. I actually have elderly relatives in their 90's never touched a computer, never had a mobile phone just kept the landline. I suppose they'll do away with the landlines one day too along with the cash in the banks. It's easier when you've always used the modern technology. Not for those who never have.

I beg your pardon, you've not once mentioned they were OAP's , if they are in receipt of a State pension setting up a mygovid is not particularly necessary.

Data requirements would be minimal and I personally never use a phone to log in , I do need the phone for verification sms.

I suggest you look at the Mobiles thread if your looking gor mobile phone plans advice . But if your insistent mygovid accounts need to be set up , 2 mobile numbers, 2 email addresses required.

Many thanks Dempo, I'm not insistent, just what they were told when they rang SW. I also have a friend who isn't quite that old, 60's and got rid of his landline and just got a single mobile for the house which he shared with wife, and sister! Everyone's different.

Fair enough but why are SW insisting on this if they are already in receipt of their state pension, i can understand the need for these accounts if additional services needed etc . Did SW specifically say why these OAP'S need to set up a mygovid ID . There is a legal obligation on government departments to offer alternative ways to apply for services. The PSC card is required for SW payment applications.

No idea why. Slightly related, we ourselves were told by Bank of Ireland we'd need to have their App on the mobile to access our credit card bills online. We had so much trouble with it, viz., delays in receiving codes, my hubby rang them and after explaining our problems he was then told we didn't need to have the App. I think it depends on who you're dealing with.

The need for apps and registering your mobile number is an increasing requirement by banks to access their services and customers accessing their accounts. Two step verification and increased security measures is now obligatory in relation to online shopping or even using your debit card to pay a bill online, Electric Ireland an example.

Obviously if a customer doesn't transact online that's fine but their are banks who may send and SMS to verify a transaction in retail stores etc. There'll be very little getting away from every bank customer to at least register their mobile number with their bank in time.

Advertisement