Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 and Model Y Waiting Room and Delivery Queries (No referral links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JohnSull

Hi all,

Bit of an awkward one. Taking delivery of a MY in two weeks but still waiting on my Canadian license to be transferred back to an Irish license. Had to send away my Canadian one so only left with a receipt that hopefully most guards would accept but not sure about Tesla. They seem pretty adamant on needing to have my driver’s license on collection. My partner still has her Canadian license so she could accept it but they may have already registered the car/grant under my name.

I've emailed Tesla for help but wanted to get other thoughts/workarounds. Does the official owner really need their license or could it be that just whoever drives it out of the lot needs to have a license?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

tesla account page offline again?

what fresh hell awaits now

edit: back now. underwhelming but at least it still says june

Post edited by pete on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

They only want your driving licence to ID you. Just bring the receipts that you have and your Passport, as well as proof of payment with the RN number on it. It won't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JohnSull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭shanethegriff

Do you need proof of address or just photo ID?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭JOL1

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

I ordered the same car and the salesperson told me it would probably be Sept. The app still estimates May or June. Its possble that the saleperson wanted to shift stock from the existing inventory. It suits me , iIm not in any rush .

Other than you may only get reduced grant of 3.5K as opposed to 5K if delivered in Sept

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭ModelWhy

I know of 3 people now (2 directly) who at various points in the last 6 weeks or so walked into Tesla Sandyford, ordered a MY (all RWD from what I understand), and picked them up about 2-3 weeks after.

I also know of people with orders since March with the same specs.

I reckon Tesla, if they think they have a boat and coming in before quarter end, will sell ordered cars to walk-ins to get the walk in sale, with the thinking being that "the orderer has waited this long, they'll probably wait a bit longer". So they make 2 sales albeit it at the "cost" of an annoyed customer. Otherwise walk-in will likely go to a competitor if they are told to wait an addition 6 months etc.

I know of sales teams for different products that do similar tactics (can't remember the term). "A sale now is better than a sale tomorrow" etc.

Can't think of any other reason why walk-ins get seemingly prioritised.

Rant over 😂😭😡

Buying a Tesla? -> Get €500 off your order by using my Referral Link - Please DM me for the link.

• Advertisement

That’s doesn’t make sense though.

If you walk in to tesla show room to order, they walk you over to the pc on the wall, and you proceed to order through the online site as you would sitting at home. It should make no difference.

Most likely canceled orders that are placed into available Inventory/coming soon. the point being that Tesla don't first go to existing orders with similar spec and match car to those customers prioiritising by order date . ModelWhy's analysis is fair in my view. I myself had seen cars with similar spec to the one I ordered appearing for sale in inventory but these were snapped up before i could organise to transfer my order.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Poyndexter

Yesterday I unexpectedly received my Fire Sale refund of 22k that I had originally transferred in early April.

However as I was awaiting this refund Tesla agreed to take the amount due to be refunded off the remaining balance on the MY that I have since collected in early May.

3 weeks later I surprisingly receive the refund in to my account. I will contact Tesla tomorrow to notify them of the error as my conscience and morals have gotten the best of me however much the 22k is tempting. Especially considering the contempt Tesla and their customer service have treated me with so far.

Surely I should be due some sort of reward for my honesty in the form of supercredits or is that too much too ask. Anyone else in the same boat as me and received a refund from the fire sale?

I placed an order on 30th march for a black/black MYLR. By 3rd May I'd a hidden VIN and an EDD some time in mid June (i think); on 4th May I placed an order for an identical "inventory" black/black MYLR and got an actual VIN assigned in my account immediately and an EDD of 19th May - 3rd June. After I confirmed (ha!) this earlier delivery date with Tesla a couple of days later, I cancelled my original order.

I've now got an updated EDD of 20th - 30th June for my "coming soon" order, which is later than the original order's EDD, and I have a sneaking suspicion that if I'd just left the original order in place I'd have a confirmed delivery date already.

https://sadtrombone.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd leave it for a few weeks to see do they notice and then I'd contact them to let them know.

Itd be very interesting to see how long it actually takes them to spot the f**k up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

How many people have to be screwed over by Tesla before everyone realises that you don't believe a word that comes out of any staff members mouth in the showroom, on chat or on the phone. They haven't a clue what's going on and are just telling people whatever they feel will get the customer to just leave them alone.

I’d delete this post and sit on it for a few weeks 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭ModelWhy

Very honourable of you.

Not sure myself what I'd do TBH. I'm sure they'll notice their mistake sooner than later and ask for it back.

I agree with Gumbo, I'd sit tight and see what happens.

I'd be surprised if they gave you anything for your honesty.

Or they will give you a reward, then get Natalie to email you to cancel said reward a few days later! 🙄😂

Buying a Tesla? -> Get €500 off your order by using my Referral Link - Please DM me for the link.

won't somebody please think of the elon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭DataDude

Don’t volunteer it. And make it as painful for them to get it back as they make it for all their customers. Hang up on them mid call. Say you’ll call them back but don’t. Tell them you’ve transferred it when you actually haven’t. Given them the run around as it’s the least they deserve.

If they never come looking for it and your conscious gets the better of you - give it to charity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Phen2206

Morning all, anyone who has experience of collecting in Baldonnel - is there any issue with turning up a bit early for a collection? Like an hour early? Just a bit tight with my delivery slot and getting to work afterwards...

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Blup Blup Blup

If you do decide to give it back, send them a link to a little webpage with a picture of the money and an ETA of when to expect it that shifts randomly. Maybe add a seemingly important reference code which you can drop out unexpectedly as it gets closer to the time. Or add a chat box for added disinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭DataDude

Your original order would also have been delayed.

I did similar to your but kept my initial Jan 14th black/black order (come to conclusion everyone should have 3 or more cars on order until you actually get a delivery date). it was also pushed along with inventory order. June 27th-June30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Should be fine. I was an hour early and already charging in Kill at my scheduled collection time.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 hostoi

What I think is happening is that cars get assigned to orders with no VIN (hidden or visible) first before they go into inventory. Once your order already has a VIN, even if there is a car cancellation that could be delivered faster to you, they won't change the assigned car of your order. They will assign it to someone else that ordered after you and still has no VIN (if such person exists), so they may get it before you even though they've ordered after you. If there's nobody else, it just goes to inventory.

I heard people thinking that even if you have no car assigned to your order, a cancellation will go into inventory or to people that ordered after you, but I would be really surprised if that happens. It just seems to me that when you are matched to a vehicle they will never change it to another vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 yazzer

I ordered MYLR White GrantQ 18th Jan

Right now EDD 26-30JUNE: TESLA SAY BOAT WAS DELAYED

VIN Gone from order but still hidden: TESLA SAY THIS IS GLITCH

Anyone else in a similar situation?

There are cars in inventory "ready for delivery"

• Registered Users Posts: 45 hostoi

I would absolutely return it if I was you. It's morally the right thing to do, and likely eventually some day they will probably ask for their money. No question about that in my head. But I would really seize the opportunity to delay it as much as possible, as others are saying. It is the perfect opportunity to give them a taste of their own medicine.

First, wait for a while to see if they realize the screw-up. Make them chase you and fight for their own money! When (and if) they finally contact you, just say it's your wife's account or something and you will "flag the issue to her" and will come back with a response. Make sure to do this at least 3 times, whichever way they contact you..

When you finally decide to return the money then you can finally confirm the situation with them and tell them it will take you a few days before you can go to the bank. Make sure it is at least 2-3 weeks though and you're not answering any emails in the meantime.

Once you finally return the balance make sure it is only 20K out of the 22k and make them chase you for the last 2K (which is what happened to me in the fire sale). Follow the same process as above for the 2K making sure it takes at least a month, just "flag it" to your wife or bank first.

At the end of all of this you should realize that you've probably still treated them better than they did a lot of us in the fire sale, cherry on top would have been if the 22k screw-up was 100% your fault in the first place.

If they end up with the money in their account any sooner than August, then you're doing it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Poyndexter

Just an update on the mistaken refund. I have contacted Tesla Chat and spoke to an advisor. I notified them of the money that was transferred to my account and said I expected some sort of goodwill gesture for my honesty.

May as well have been talking to robot who said they would raise this with their supervisor. I then received an email with the bank details to transfer the money back to them. No thank you or any appreciation for my honesty in spotting their mistake and no sign of any goodwill gesture. It just sums up their shocking customer service and respect for customers.

To be honest I'm going to sit tight for the moment and wait a few days before I transfer anything back. I will eventually but I'm in no real rush. I'm also still awaiting 250 euro that I have had to chase for another car I had cancelled so I will definitely be deducting that.

Overall the car is great and I didn't have any issues and it's been perfect for so far. Just a pity about Tesla's over incompetence and poor customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭joe1303l

I’m not convinced they’d have ever discovered their error. I hope you won’t regret your honesty but I’d probably have done the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭antfin

I would just say, for the benefit of anyone suggesting that you could have said nothing and kept the money, it is technically a criminal offence to leave money in your account that was transferred by mistake. Delaying in returning it while actively engaging would be reasonable though!

All the same it's another example of a shambles of an administrative process. There needs to be a serious overhaul of the administration side of their Irish business. It's a calamity of errors as soon as the deposit is put down until collection. If they run the global business like that it's not going to be scalable to the degree that they plan regardless of how good the product is and eventually something big is going to break.

Advertisement