Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 and Model Y Waiting Room and Delivery Queries (No referral links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Interestingly "What Car" recently did a comparision and their conclusion was the Model 3 was the "clear winner".

It would appear that Tesla just stuck a higher, bigger, heavier body on the model 3 chassis without thinking too much about how it would affect handling, ride, etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The Model 3 with the slightly smaller frunk (the one without the shopping bag hooks) houses an Octovalve, so most MIC 3s since 2021 have the Octo. It’s incredibly efficient, shorty after delivery of my 3 we had frozen windscreen mornings and the car hit desired cabin temp in something like 2/3 minutes

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yeah I used to have the same in the Ioniq 28kW. Had heatpump as standard in 2016, incredible for a €25k car while a Model S 4 times the price didn't have it. Car was clear and warm literally in 2 minutes. A V8 petrol 5l would have taken at least twice as long.

That said, would I pay €1200 extra for a heat pump like VW want? Most certainly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Most motoring journalists are quite snobby towards SUV market so that’s not a huge surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭Jizique

Snobby? Maybe that is because they know that a SUV is just an overpriced jacked up sedan, and that is definitely the case here.

In fairness to Musk, he is no auto engineer but the fans just love the product, no matter what rubbish he produces. It will be interesting now that he is devoting all his time to twitter, not expecting much in the way of new product for the next 24 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Core6

Having driven both, I think What Car are correct.

However, I would say that their comment the the M3 was a 'Clear winner' is subjective though.

The M3 is nicer to drive, better acceleration, bigger range but it doesn't have the same space in the back seat and, in particular, the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

Yep, it's a fairly unique situation here in Ireland though. They are exactly the same price so in my case, I couldn't justify a rwd model 3 and ordered a Y.

If there was a €4000 or €5000 difference in price (or as was until recently €12000), then the 3 makes a better case for itself.

Looks are subjective (3 looks better to my eyes) but the difference in range is hardly going to be huge and as mentioned the Y is better spec'd.

The main arguments against the Y in that article seem to be around the suspension and noise insulation, both of which will be improved with the new Berlin / China models too.

Please don't compare the cars you have driven. The Model 3 ordered now is exactly like the one that has been for sale in Ireland for years now, but the Model Y will be a completely different car to drive compared to the Model Y in Ireland now. And how it drives will also depend on if it will be made in China or Berlin. The German cars have a completely different suspension, even the Performance is now not that harsh any more. And also in China recent improvements have been made on the suspension

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Everyone keeps saying "looks are subjective" but nobody has said the MY is better looking than M3, so it's fair to say that the 3 is the better looking car due to its sleeker dimensions and nicer wheels (with or without oem covers). I have the M3 since last month and would switch to MY if there was no cost to change. The hatchback is the primary reason for this which better suits my family needs. The extra space would be welcome, but 95% of the time, it's just me driving to and from work, so M3 keeps me happy.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Some people prefer an elevated driving position, the swines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭E30M3

But its the same price as the Model 3 how is it overpriced on that basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

I don't think anyone has said that the model Y was better looking, although it looks well in side profile imo.

The Gemini wheels don't look great but would be better if they were darker. The wheel covers are pretty poor looking too.

There are some decent aftermarket wheel covers for the 19" wheels that make a nice difference (most people mention the rimetrix or tessories as an example).

That's interesting you say that. Almost everyone I have heard thought the Model Y was better looking. Not so much in pictures or even on the road, but up close and personal. Neither are the best looking cars though if we're honest. The only good looking Tesla is the Model S 😂

Why no 18” aero option for the Y, shame as I like them, match MSM very well…

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I think 18” wheels would be lost on the Y. The 19” just about make the cut IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Nah. I've seen loads of Y and 3 while here in the states. 3 way better looking (and I really like the 3 styling). The face-lift S is lovely, not so much the rudolf version with frostbite nose. Reminds me of the Ioniq 28 with the silly nose everyone wanted to colour match.

Stay Free

In the States last two weeks too, Tesla’s everywhere, so many 3s and Ys, saw a X Plaid yesterday, most impressive, Tesla definitely 95%+ of all EVs seen

Freemont build, much improved (visually)

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Agreed, the S is the least ugly one, the other two look awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

I got some great info and answers on the M3 thread, but should probably use this one as I've ordered the Model Y.

1) Does the car store Sentry mode footage or is external hard drive/ thumb drive needed ?

2) Who's getting the car ceramic coated, and is there a recommended company?

3) If my phone is my key, can my wife use her phone as her key, or just the key-card.?

4) Delivery/pickup says it's in Baldonnell, is this normal, what if there's a problem there?

Thanks. Sorry for the newbie questions. I'm watching lots of Tesla YouTube videos.

• Advertisement

1. External drive required. One comes with the car. It’s hit and miss to be honest and I’ve used an SSD 250gb passport drive without issue.
    2. I look after my own cars at home but for a proper ceramic coating you need indoor space and time to prep, correct the paint and let the coating set without the risk of dust, dirt or debris landing in it while wet. There’s loads out there depending on your location.
    3. I’m not sure 2 phone keys can be set up but you could be phone key and then her profile assigned to one of the cards. That way whenever she opens the car with her card, her profile is automatically on screen, BER seat, wheel and mirror settings are set.
    4. Normal. What problem as an example? You have time to look over the car, accept the car or reject the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Core6

The MY that I drove was a 222 reg car however it was a LR. The acceleration was impressive and I didn't find the ride too harsh. The higher driving position of the MY changes the feeling and involvement. Nobody buys an SUV for the driving experience!!

It makes more sense to compare a MY to an ID4 or Skoda Enyaq.

By problems I suppose I mean, panel gaps, paint problems, anything cosmetic etc..

Gaps are rare now, very rare and we’re even blown out of proportion on the US cars IMHO.

I’ve had 3 Fremont cars, 2x Model S and 1x Model 3 and not one of them has any gaps or paint issues and I’d be critical of paint condition as proved by previous posts 😉

But in general, if there’s any issues on collection, they have staff on site and if it can be adjusted there and then they will do it or else you log it in the app and they will send a renamed to your home/work if possible.

Perfect, thanks.

No problem. Keep asking questions.

YT can be good but it’s also very click bait for views so you have to take some of it with a pinch of salt.

Have you test drove it yet? Or any Tesla?

Yes. Test drove the MY on Thursday and also had a spin in the M3 over 2 years ago, before I bought my ID3.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

On the phone keys, you can set up as many as you like. You have to do it in the car with a keycard and the phone if I remember. You can also link a particular phone/card to a profile so if you get in it'll load your profile e.g. seat, mirrors, drive settings, heat, music etc and if your wife gets in it'll load hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

I'm torn - have a deposit on a MY and will consider changing from the M3. I have driven the MY a few times recently - however its AWD and has the acceleration boost so certainly not like for like.

I dont like the drive overall, it's harsh and a very boring handling experience and i also do not like the seating position - i found that even though the seats are the same as the 3 it doesnt support my lumbar in the same way due to how high you are seated.

I would love to be able to drive a SR before i finally commit - and more than likely will be able to somewhere - however, no one knows really where the car is coming from so it's impossible to know if that car will be the same one delivered.

Main Pro's for the Y is the bigger boot and more room in the back seat. The boot is a big one but the back seat not so much as my kids are not that old yet so room is not an issue.

The con's being the drive is nowhere near as nice, not a fan of the seating position, ugly rear end, shorter range and less efficient car (higher running costs).

And as it is generally me driving on my own for about 80% of all journeys in the car is the bigger boot really worth it..............

I know others will point out other differences etc. but they are all minor for me. I feel like i would be giving up a lot of important stuff just to have a bigger boot.

• Advertisement

That's great to hear, thanks.

Advertisement