Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car "Competition" Undersold, Extends Draw Date, Continues to sell Entries ...Is this Legal?

Options
  • 30-07-2022 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

I saw Bob Flavin was promoting this raffle on IG for a lovely R32 Golf which would be right up my alley so I had a look.

I've never had any time for these sort of things but what peaked my interest about this one is that the draw date was looming, 29/07 @ 9pm (Last night), and it was clear they were going to massively undersell entries. So for the first time in my life I entered one of these bloody things.

The draw date has passed and there's been no draw, Instead they did the most Father Ted-esque IG post imaginable. They basically said we've been really successful over the last few weeks but all this success has made us really busy, so busy we're not going to be able to do that draw.

So to sum things up: They've currently sold 168 OF 1795 entries with an advertised draw date of last night, the only reason I entered. They've now extended the draw to September while continuing to sell entries, whatever they think that's gonna achieve?

Surely this can't be legal?!

PS: not sure whether or not post links, I'll leave them out for now, If any wants them I'll post them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

It sucks but from their T&Cs (which seems like a clone of the R Kings one, website is almost identical also...)

"3.2 If it is absolutely necessary to do so, the Promoter reserves the right to change the Opening and Closing Dates. If the Promoter does change the Opening Date and/or the Closing Date of a competition, the new details will be displayed on the Website."

I wouldn't say its a scam, a lot/most of these raffle type things are legit but it seems like this crowd have just started up and this is their first big draw so I don't think they would survive taking a massive loss straight away - likely business model is to take proceeds from the first few raffles to fund purchasing of future prizes...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

Think those draws have had their day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I wish you were right, but there's always a few punters for these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

How much was the ticket? Surely if nothing else you're entitled to your money back now since they've changed the odds of the draw and the payout date to suit themselves and cover their short sightedness. What's the say the draw in Sep won't be extended again if they don't sell enough tickets to make a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

‘Hello Bank, I lost my card a few days ago.

No, that online purchase was not me.’

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,531 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Request your money back and forget about those things

• Registered Users Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Yeah, they were a novelty during lockdowns, but there are so many of them now.

I think it all started when someone was seeking their house to travel the world, and they sold raffle tickets. It was an ingenious way to get the asking price for their house.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I blame Barney Curley, he started it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,517 ✭✭✭✭L1011

House raffles were semi common in the 80s also. Often the only way to get what you'd paid for the house back, back then!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,265 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

“If it is absolutely necessary to do so…” is an awfully high standard which would more likely be confined to low sales. There is no necessity to defer the draw due to low sales, it is simply advantageous. Necessity does not seem to be in place. They should have reserved the rights such as “The promoter reserves the right to reschedule the draw in the event that X tickets are not sold by the draw date”. Asserting a unilateral right to reschedule is probably outside Unfair Contract Terms Act. Complain to CCPC (although I suspect nothing will happen).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Bob Flavin. Enough said.

Advertisement