Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you support the views put forward by Sabina Higgins that Ukraine and Russia must negotiate

Options
  • 30-07-2022 8:54pm

Do you support the views put forward by Sabina Higgins that Ukraine and Russia must negotiate 172 votes

I support her view
    34% 59 votes
    I do not support her view
    65% 113 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

will negotiate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I assume she would have negotiated with the British when they invaded ? Or after they put the rising down ? 🤔

Not anti British btw making a point.

As another poster has said, its a bit like suggesting the pioneers of the war of Independence, stood down to prevent further bloodshed.

Ironically enough, if Michael Collins had said "Ah sure, we can never beat the British, lets just give up and let them rule us to prevent more deaths", Sabina wouldn't be living in the house she is iving in right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I think the problem is where they live tbh. Kinda changes your thinking someway not for the better either. I wager she would not be suggesting Castro should have negotiated with the USA. 🤔 The seem to like the old communists like.

Funnily enough, a friend of mine knows Sabina personally. When Michael D got elected she(my friend said), Sabina will lose the run of herself.

So, Im not surprised she did this, I'm surprised it took this long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

She is taking a position that machine gunning the natives till they agree to bend the knee still works.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

To negotiate is to talk to find an agreed settlement to a problem between two parties.

there is no problem between the Ukraine and Russia..the problem IS 100% Russia.. they are the aggressor, invader, killer, illegal and violent, malevolent, psycho nation.

you can’t negotiate with that. Nor should you expect to need to ffs.

her comment just proves that she hasn’t the intellect, judgement or solemnities to be involving herself in world politics… she certainly hasn’t the mandate…to be publishing her thoughts on state websites…or elsewhere…

we have an elected government, she’d do well to remember that. This is a massive black mark for the presidency of her husband..

• Registered Users Posts: 69,154 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

This is spinning the contents of the letter Strumms.

She was responding to an editorial that spoke of 'the war escalating to a standstill' and bemoaned the fact that a ceasefire and negotiations was not given encouragement

There are plenty of people who will rub their hands with glee at the prospect of a protracted stalemate. costing many lives needlessly but it is entirely reasonable to seek a peaceful outcome.

It shouldn't have appeared on the website and the Aras were correct to take it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

I agree with her 100% and am disappointed it was taken down. Preventing bloodshed is paramount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Notmything

In that case, "give me all your money and your house or I'll beat you bloody".

My take was that Sabrina wants Ukraine to just give up and let Russia have its way, rather than do something "stupid" lie try to defend themselves. She appears to be channelling her inner Claire Daly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

No, it’s an accurate summary of content and intent.

responding ? She is still communicating on state headed paper. A protracted violent and aggressive invasion of this magnitude and scale isn’t going to be solved or influenced by Sabina writing that letter… it’s simply an exercise on behalf of an individual with too much time on their hands and fancied by proxy of who they married to… believing they have some sort of influence or mandate to get active and influential on behalf of Ireland and its citizens on the world political sphere. Awful judgement, egotistical arrogance of the highest degree…

we have an elected government, Taoiseach, department of foreign affairs, diplomats etc…all the letter does is seek to undermine them.

what we don’t require is the presidents wife, off her own bat, going rogue, choosing to represent this country by espousing through official communication, how a dangerous, deadly and devastating situation should be solved.

In addition… Her experience and expertise is not in international affairs…she is / was an actress and I think worked in the civil service for a while…

now she’s just acting the maggot and should be instructed to cease and desist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭rogber

I suspect the letter was written for the right reasons i.e. because it pains her to see the suffering and she sees only more suffering as the war settles into a likely stalemate, rather than because she's a secret Putin fan. I had some similar views when the war broke out, but which I have since changed having seen, one, the utter brutality of Russia's conduct, and two how they can't be trusted to stick to any agreements made through negotiation, having clearly stated that their aim is to overthrow the government and make Ukraine subject to Russian rule. To have witnessed that and then advocate negotiation/capitulation is pretty shocking to me. However, as a private citizen she's entitled to her views. The problem is the way they were made public, as if the unofficially represent the position of the country's president.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,717 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

There are plenty of people who will rub their hands with glee at the prospect of a protracted stalemate. costing many lives needlessly but it is entirely reasonable to seek a peaceful outcome.

Who are these people and can you point them out to us with actual quotes stating that is what they want.... or are you making **** up again?

Correction, it is you accurately describing your interpretation or spin of what she said.

I.E. it's your opinion, I gave mine.

She was responding to an editorial that spoke of 'the war escalating to a standstill' and bemoaned the fact that a ceasefire and negotiations was not given encouragement

You ignored/handwaved away a direct quote on the other thread. Not wasting my time again.

What thread was this?

Link it, please.

Otherwise you are making stuff up again and running away from your own words, which wouldn't be the first time.

Did you say she was 'Bang on', yet also disagreed with her?

Usually, people don't agree and disagree with someone at the very same time. Its awfully confusing :) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

No it's not. Trails of Russian blood from retreating troops on the way back to the border is what's paramount.

Edgelords are now converting themselves into peaceniks as they see Russian positions getting f*cked-up and Ukrainians on the ascendency.

We see you.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

That's tantamount to giving the bully your lunch in case he hits you

• Advertisement

Except the IT piece she was responding to wasn't saying that. It was talking about the war coming to a standstill/stalemate...in which case she implored a ceasefire and negotiations.

Don't let the truth get in the way whatever you do. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

And I was responding to a poster who said preventing bloodshed is paramount, not the content of Sabina Higgins' missive. Do keep up.

I did and that is what you said.

She was "Bang on" in he views.

Odd for an Irish Republican to be so soft and appease an Imperial power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭indioblack

Either there will be outright defeat for one side or some kind of negotiated settlement, probably the latter.

It's not a question of "must negotiate" but under what circumstances could they negotiate.

It's unlikely there would be a desire at this time to negotiate realistically.

Does anybody think that the Russians would negotiate in good faith?

Wrong...I said she was 'bang on' about one of the things she said.

Must you Mark? Such a waste of everyone's time.

So you agreed with her.

Grand, glad that is sorted.

On one of the things she said = yes.

Why are you wasting more time trying to get a pathetic win?

Just trying to establish your POV as you seem to change it on a daily/hourly basis.

Anyway, it seems the polls disagree with her letter. In a minority again Francie.

No YOU CHANGED it Mark to me agreeing with the entire letter. That is on YOU.

Laughable posting...what did it achieve for you only to make you look like a cheap reactionary bluffer?

• Advertisement

You agreed with her Francie. You said she was 'Bang on' in her views. Note views as in plural

It's okay to agree with her, its a free country (unlike poor Ukraine at the moment) but expect to be taken to task over it.

Advertisement