Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you support the views put forward by Sabina Higgins that Ukraine and Russia must negotiate

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Yes, alot more succinct than me above but pretty how I see it at the moment. They (Ukraine) must know best the price they are paying resisting Russia here (alot higher than the mainly economic one their supporters pay to aid them and sanction Russia). I don't feel comfortable with it either, and it's unimaginable to me (as a very "non violent" type living in a peaceful country under no serious external threat) the situation they are in.

65% do not support Sabina Higgins view. Ofc not scientific etc and all the usual warnings but interesting nonetheless.

Thanks to all participants

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

Well if anybody wants the war to end usually the two parties fighting that war must go to the negotiating table. So yes I do agree with her, time for this war to end. Zelensky needs to stop sending his men out to die in an unwinnable war against the Russians.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,055 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - A number of posts discussing the war itself in detail, with no mention of either Sabina's letter or views on negotiations/ceasefires, have been deleted. There is a thread for discussing the war itself.

Can we please stay on topic, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

When you compare it to something like the Good Friday Agreement, the difference that I see is that the people of NI were sick of the troubles and wanted it to end and were willing to compromise. If the leaders failed to come to an agreement, they would have to face their community to distain.

From what I see in this scenario, the Ukrainian people are not willing to compromise (I don't say that as a criticism, I agree with them) they want their country free. There are reprecussions for Zelenskyy if he concedes anything but there are no reprecussions for Putin. The Russians generally are apathetic to the war. It's a war far away that seems to be going very well according to the local news channels.

In years to come, when everyone is worn out from it and negotiations have to be an option, Mrs Higgins may smuggly say "well, wasn't I right", but to say it right now are the comments of a thick individual. It's like running out onto the street and yelling an asteroid will hit earth. The asteroid will hit earth, it's inevitable down the line but ain't happening in the near future. Yes the nutter will be right in the long run, but that's centuries down the line.

Negotiations right now are not an option because the people don't want it and there is no deterrent to fail to live up to negotiations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,493 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I neither support, nor disagree with Higgins' stance on this matter. But we should all be clear on what she called for. She called for a ceasefire. That's not a surrender, or a capitulation. It's a ceasing of hostilities and a period whereby both parties can form some sort of negotiation to resolve the conflict in a manner that can be acceptable to either side. If that outcome is not forthcoming, then both sides can go back to knocking the shit out of each other.

Ceasefires have occurred in many conflicts, initiated at local or international level. In some cases they are agreeable to both sides. In others not so much. I would doubt that in this conflict a ceasefire coupled with negotiations would yield a positive outcome for both sides and, at present, Russia has the upper hand and would probably press the Ukraine unreasonably. But there certainly would be no harm in trying something to end the destruction and needless waste of lives that's happening in the Ukraine at present. Because this thing is going to go on and on for a long time and it's the Ukrainian people who are getting the shit end of the stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

upper hand running back to moscow ? they have less land than they started out with. The would be fast enough pulling out if it was white russians fighting.

Advertisement