Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland Target Sports Association (NITSA)

• 31-07-2022 2:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Are people still travelling up to NITSA these days, and if so, how's it working out?

If you go, are you a full member, or do you just pay asa visitor for the day?

Are you bringing your own firearms, and if so, what are the logistics, do you have to get A PSNI permit for each individual visit?

What about use of club guns, are there many options?

Would you consider buying a pistol there, and just keeping it at the club?

I assume that all ammo is purchased on site, and that they've a shop there - is that correct ?

Is formal tuition also available, if you'd like to try something new, and learn the related competition disciplines etc?

Thanks,

G.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kellbag91

Hi, I've been a member for several years now, great club. I travel up regularly enough from Dublin which works out at an hour. So from Dublin, Meath or Louth its very accessible.

If you go, are you a full member, or do you just pay.?

You have to join as a full member to shoot, but if you know someone in the club you can shoot on a prearranged guest day. There are two a month. Which is great to introduce people to the sport.

Are you bringing your own firearms, and if so, what are the logistics, do you have to get A PSNI permit for each individual visit?

You don't need any kind of license or Psni check to join and shoot. Once you're a member you can use whatever they have in the club.

I have a 22lr pistol which I bring up now and again.If you intend on bringing a firearm you'll need a visitors permit for that gun. But why bother with the 22lrs when there are 9mms.There is a big selection of glocks and czs and other pistols, revolvers etc.

I assume that all ammo is purchased on site, and that they've a shop there - is that correct ?

Ammo is bought on sight and used on sight.

Is formal tuition also available, if you'd like to try something new, and learn the related competition disciplines etc?.

There is a lot of different disciplines there, the main one being practical pistol. There are also police pistol, some Olympic style, mini rifle, small bore target rifle.

Plenty of courses to do such as: The black badge course, which allows you to shoot practical pistol competitions. Alot of experienced people up there who are happy to provide direction. Coaching is available too if you want to take it further.

Pm me if you have any other questions

Post edited by kellbag91 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭smmember20

If you join as a full member regardless of experience you must complete the club safety course, this is a one day course given by experienced instructors, includes some shooting competency and must be done.

As a member they run a "Competition familiarization day" cost is about £35 includes ammo and introduces you to all the basic competition procedures etc, a great day

There are 4 "indoor" 25 meter pistol ranges and two covered 50 meter ranges, a fantastic club house with a purpose built training room and a very good cafe:

As a member you can avail of the extensive stock of club guns, Glock 9mm, revolvers CZ some .22's and Mini Rifles

While the main participation is Saturday, the club runs various days during the week up to 2100 as there is appropriate range lighting

What's not to like, ammo available for purchase but usual rules apply unless you are licensed for the particular ammo then you cannot remove it from the range and believe me the last place in the world you want to be stopped with unlicensed ammo is NI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

50m is the max range at that club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

also does the club to days out to larger ranges. As far as I know military ranges can be used by members of the public via clubs etc etc but that’s only what I heard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Wadi14

I believe the shoots at open ranges are organized through the Ulster Rifle Association, and I think you have to be a member of URA I don't know what kind of membership if its full or associate. I don't know if there are other groups that use Millitary ranges, but the guys I know shoot through URA bookings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭SVI40

NITSA own the land beside the club, and are planning on building a new rifle range there in the near future. Up to 200m if I recall correctly.

Advertisement