Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla locks customer's battery to 66% capacity after unrelated service

• 31-07-2022 5:16pm

I know it's in the US but Tesla limited a car battery because the customer had given it an unaut service

https://youtu.be/87poTGAasbE

Mod Edit: Poster reported YouTube video incorrectly

Post edited by liamog on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That’s actually incorrect info you’ve posted.

The original owner had a 60 kWh car. Battery failed and Tesla replaced it with a 90 kWh battery.

It was then sold twice and current owner had the battery reduced back to the 60 kWh (software locked).

Bad publicity surrounded the action and Tesla have reinstated the 2 cars back to 90 kWh being available.

Im not aware of an unauthorised service taking place that you’ve posted?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ah, the 60 upgrade to 90, those lucky feckers, they would enjoy zero throttling also. When I had my S 85 battery replacement I was going to keep it if they put a 90 but alas I didn't strike lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

Shenanigans like what?

Tesla didn’t actually limit anything due to an unauthorised service. The OP posted incorrect info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This is incorrect, Tesla do a lot of ridiculous crap so you dont need to make up stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's not incorrect, Tesla resolved a configuration mistake with the battery in the customers car during a service. An early owner of the car had received a battery replacement, at the time they replaced the 60kWh battery with a 90kWh that should of been soft locked backed to 60kWh. However for whatever reasons this was not done at the time. A subsequent owner of the vehicle had work done to his car by Tesla (MCU2 upgrade), they applied the "correct" configuration and the battery was now soft locked.

Initially Tesla refused to restore the battery capacity, until an outrage on social media.

It's understandable how this happened, I do think it's very shady for the earlier owner to have rebadged the car to a 90 knowing that the battery upgrade cost hadn't been paid.

Yes but, key here, it's not tesla's fault. It was shady as you say by the earlier owner but certainly not on tesla. It's like complaining in month 7 if you're getting free electricity for 6 months and then the grid cops on and charges you!

If the car was not re-purchased through Tesla then I doubt Tesla had any liability here. It's not uncommon for mistakes to happen , like free SuC maintained incorrectly for instance, only to be found out by Tesla a week/mpnth whatever later and take it back.

It's a bit of a stretch to blame Tesla for anything here in this one. As I say, they do so much stupid crap that you don't need to add to the list by including stuff that shouldnt!

Given the isolated incident Tesla could have just left as is, on the positive side, that 60kWh pack with never degrade given it's buffer, charge to 100% whenever you like!!!!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Turn's out not so isolated, another person had a similar issue. After the public outcry on Twitter from this case they are also restoring the other owners battery to it's full capacity.

Lucky sods, I straight out asked for a new 90pack when my S85 battery was replaced last year, the SC said it's whatever pack arrives in the post, I was chatting to a Ranger late last year and it came up in conversation and he said an older car than mine was been fitted with a new 90 pack that very day, Tesla battery lottery.

• Advertisement

If you buy a 90 (or 100) pack yourself, would they fit it or are you dependant on the Tesla SC lottery?

I never asked, wasn't interested in that question as battery was under warranty, can't fit a 100pack to an 85 S AFAIK

I'd say you can. Considering you can fit a 90 pack to an 85 (some early 90's were actually originally 85 packs), and you can fit a 100 pack to a 90.

Additionally, you can buy a software locked 100 pack (locked to 85kWh) as a replacement pack for early S85s in the US now.

I thought there was some weight restriction on the 85 frame, maybe I imagined it. The 90 pack is "the same" just different chem I thought and has blank spaces that would be occupied to make up a 100 pack (so lighter). This is all back of the mind throwback stuff as I no longer have the S having switched to a new 3. I'd only consider a S Raven but likely few and far between now and above my price range

The 100 kWh pack can’t go into the other cars due to weight and driving dynamics that the other cars don’t have.

Cheers. I actually contacted Tesla and asked would they either be able to supply and fit a 100 pack (or could I supply one myself) and they fit it to my X but was told a hard no. Possibly the hardest no I've ever heard!

I'd say they are overran with current amount of Tesla's on the road and all the deliveries, staff are v hard to recruit and they're likely taking zero non-warranty work on.

Still reckon all battery replacements are water ingress, every one I've seen on YT were water related and so was mine

They have been like that since I was arguing with them about Severus - my S - over a year ago about the eMMC issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's bullying. I'm glad Tesla got found out. And that the negative publicity made them decide to re-instate the software settings. Not much of an excuse, it's still bullying and they're not even saying sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Probably easier and cheaper to sell your Model X 75 and buy a Model X 100?

• Advertisement
Advertisement