Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsolved Irish Mysteries.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭BagofWeed

So weird ! I was going to write about an unsolved murder here and how the guards completely messed the investigation up and the 'fellow inmate' you refer to is the brother of the guy whom of it's an open secret that did it. Both doing Life. I won't go into it so but of the two who did it, one was eventually stabbed to death while he was asleep by the other, so 1 dead and the other, much more dangerous and psychopathic, doing Life.

That 'fellow inmate' is inside over 25 years now for murder. His brother was definitely involved in that murder too but the 'fellow inmate' and the other witness involved wouldn't talk about him. Basically his brother is a serial killer and was involved in three murders.

Post edited by BagofWeed on

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Don't quite follow you, two people with a connection to who precisely?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I meant older cases as in cases from the 50/60/70/80 and even 90's when homosexuality was not accepted in any way. Not older as in the age of the missing person :)

I could be picking this up wrong, but maybe he knew that the mutual friend was a "closet gay" who had no intention of ever coming out and would enter into a marriage as was expected of him , the end result making everyone miserable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Its probably been mentioned before but Philip Cairns disappearence is another case that I remember when it happened and its always stuck in my mind since because he was around the same age as I am.

Although he will never get justice I fear because chances are his murderer is probably dead now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,616 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Cooke admitted he was the murderer of Philip to the Gardai back in 2016 but he was suffering from dementia at the time of his confession. Zero chance of a conviction at the time, none now of course.…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Ah ok didn't know that, unfortunately his remains will never be found now either unless someone comes across the burial site by a stroke of luck.

• Listening on Claire Byrne abt Annie McCarrick it seems there was gross incompetence and failure to pay heed to very pertinent information the family had.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Didn't hear it, but not surprised to find all the 'investigative' journalists, coppers leaking rubbish to the press, ex-coppers looking to add to their already excessively generous pensions with media fees and sundry bar-room spoofers with their fanciful theories about Johnny Foxes pub and the mysterious IRA man have been finally but belatedly called out on their spoofing.

Add in the Sophie case you'd wonder what they were at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Link to the piece on Claire Byrne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Jesus. It really was amateur hour back then. So it's claimed that Annie was harassed in the period leading up to her disappearance and AGS didn't take this onboard.

A cafe worker allegedly placed Annie in the cafe where she worked a day before she went missing with a man and this was allegedly never followed up on.

Absolutely amazing if the above is accurate.

John **** foxes pub. Jaysus wept.

AGS know more than they are letting on. You would wonder if there was some sort of a cover up going on.

• Absolutely, that’s what my mother believed. In those days, we’re talking 1940s, innocence ruled the day in her RC world, so the relevance of what he said didn’t dawn on her straight away. She was an artist, mixed ami g artists, was secretary to a union of artists, she organised arts balls, all that world. She was an an encyclopaedia of who’s who in the world of art. She subsequently had her own theory about those mysteries.

I think the Charles Self murder is pretty self explanatory to be honest. Did they ever track the rent boys for questioning who were in the pub that evening?

• Re the Malcolm McArthur case, which isn’t quite a mystery (if you discount how any human could act like him), a friend of mine was invited to have a chat with the guards as he was in the musical world and although not gay himself, had a lot of gay friends. McArthur hung around those circles, I think probably using rent boys. Nothing directly to do with any cases mentioned on this thread, but there was a certain alter-life in Dublin where some of these tragedies & mysteries played out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It says in the article that they worked out who there were and one had an alibi and one point blank denied he was in the pub at all that night.

Imelda kennan

Eva brennan

Two more women who vanishes in the triangle.

You suspect a serial killer was at play for some of them. And pretty much all of them stop when murphy is locked up.

Murphy has some secrets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Mc Arthur and his girlfriend mixed in those circles. Intellectuals, bohemian types. Bartley Dunnes pub, a known gay haunt, was a favourite watering hole. Paddy Connolly, the then AG , was a mutual friend of both. That's how the double murderer Mc A ended up living in the attorney general's apartment in Dalkey. GUBU indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I dont think there's any credible evidence Cooke did it tbh. It doesn't fit his MO, he was a serial molester of young girls. The random kidnapping and murder of a teenage boy doesn't fit with whats known about him. The story of the supposed witness that led to him being named is full of holes and implausabilities and as mentioned, he was suffering from dementia when he "confessed".

• Advertisement

Something really strange happened with the McCarrick Case. Friends and relatives say they provided statements handed in to Gardai. Gardai are saying that they were never aware of the statements during the initial investigation.

The question I would ask is this. The McCarrick family had meetings with the Gardai in the months following her disappearance. Did they not once ask during those meetings about the statements and if they had been followed up on? Why are Gardai only becoming aware now of potential missing statements. 30 years on.

Investigators need to go back to basics with this one. They need to confirm as best they can if Annie was in fact in Enniskerry when she went missing. The John Foxes sighting is indeed confusing. Only one person, the door man, saw her. Nobody else in the pub? Not a barman or lounge staff or customers? Did Gardai track everyone down that was there that night and were detailed statements taken?

The Cafe is even more confusing. You'd like to believe that Gardai weren't that incompetent to ignore or not act on potential information like that but it wouldn't shock you either. That's two people who place someone matching Annies description in Enniskerry.

Or are the above sightings just well meaning people who saw someone similar? Did it drive the investigation in totally the wrong direction. After all stranger danger and abductions are extremely rare. Is it more likely that Annie was murdered by someone she knows and never went to Enniskerry at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭RonanG86

idk, maybe she was just a trusting person, and assumed the Guards had followed the lead and deemed it unimportant, but it sounded like, from the daughter's description, the café worker only tried to make a statement the Gardaí twice. In 20+ years.

I know you shouldn't have to try to make a statement to the Gardaí for a missing person / murder case, they should just take it, but it still seemed a bit 'off' that she only made one effort after the initial meeting, despite appeals every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Eamon Cooke as the murderer has been very roundly debunked alright. The witnesses and his supposed statements don’t hold water.

My two cents on this tragedy is that it was someone known to Philip, a parent of a friend or neighbour etc. that gave him a lift back to the school and never got there. They later panicked and dropped his bag in the lane.

With the passage of time, they are probably dead now and if there was no witness and they never confided in anyone, it will never be resolved.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

Again though knowing how incompetent AGS were at the time can we even trust that the bag was dropped back to the lane after the disappearance? It wouldn't shock me if the lane was never searched properly at all you know. I've always thought that.

I think DNA will eventually break this case but the perpetrator may well be dead by now. From my understanding they did lift DNA samples from the bag. Surely they can ask people to come forward and provide DNA in an attempt to find relatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

The Inga Houser case in Antrim in 1988 was always mysterious how they could not solve it. They know it would have to have been someone on the ferry. This was the height of the troubles and every ferry coming into Larne would have been monitored and regs of vehicles recorded. She took a lift off the ferry with her murder yet the case was never solved.

The woods where she was found was used by the British Army for training. It is known fact that murders and rapists bring their victims to places they're familiar with as they're more comfortable. Makes a case that perpetrators was in the BA the case was covered up by them. Perhaps then they could not have a member in the north exposed for this crime.

2 suspects in the Annie McCarrick murder case are the centre of Garda attention again. They were originally questioned. It is now believed she never left the Sandymount D4 area. They are brothers and successful in the property sector. By the sounds of it they were mentioned on the statements that Gardai say they never got. Something seriously wrong with how those statements vanished. Reporter on newstalk suggests that Gardai have more information linking the pair. Not sure what solid evidence there would be at this stage though. I wonder are they known locally to be the suspects.

Amazing how well intentioned witness sightings could throw a case off like this and for so long. I always thought the Johnny Foxes sighting was questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭I told ya

From the RTE programme the other night, it was stated that there was a positive ID of AMcC on the bus. This was from someone that worked with her.

Also, take into account the story as told by the daughter of the deceased lady who worked in the coffee shop. Also, only the doorman but none of the staff or customers in Johnnie Fox's recalled seeing her.

Add in the claim about the faxes.

I can understand the Gardai holding back information/whatever.

So, if AMcC never left Sandymount, where does that leave the sighting on the bus?

Will it ever be solved?

I'm not sure about the sighting. Possibly just good intention people got it totally wrong. To me it's telling that it was only the door man in Foxes who saw her. A busy location and back then I think a young pretty American girl would have stood out. The Cafe sighting? Literally only coming to light after 30 years almost so who knows.

With what was in the news in the last few days I do think the this can be solved but I also think that it'll take someone who knows something to come forward with information.

The Gardai have these two brothers in mind and their must be a reason for that you would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭robwen

Amy Fitzpatrick’s aunt hopes remains found in Spain are of missing niece: ‘The body has been there over a decade’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭LunaLoo

Wow it would be incredible if it was her after all this time. I think we all know who needs to be questioned

Advertisement