Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swirl card

• 02-08-2022 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

i have a swirl card for topping up my betting account. will my bank know about that when i apply for a mortgage?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,146 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If the money to top it up comes from your bank account they will seek a statement for the Swirl account.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

i top it up with the prepaid vouchers you can get in shops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,146 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Banks are not nearly as interested in your betting as people think. Loans officers don't live in a live in a vacuum, they know people enjoy a flutter on the horses, go on a bender every so often, over spend on hobbies and that they are going to be lied to. It's how real life is.

Banks are concerned with:

• Do you have the means to pay back the loan
    • And are you managing your financial affairs in a responsible manner so they can rely on you to stick to the agreement you signed up to

You demonstrate that you have the ability to pay back the loan based on your salary, your savings history, rent payments and so on. And you demonstrate you reliability as a borrower based on your credit history and how well you have abided by previous agreements - operation of your account, overdraft, credit cards, personal loans and so on.

If one is a heavy gambler or similar it will be very evident - the income won't match the circumstances. If someone is on a salary of 50k, has little or no savings, drives a clapped out car, dresses shabbily and rents a room in a flat share, there is clearly a problem... it is not that difficult to work it out.

Advertisement