Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trees lining driveway

Options
  • 03-08-2022 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I’m planting lime trees (lindens) along a curved driveway. I’m planting 5 on both sides. Should I plant them across from each other or should I stagger them. On one side there will be 8m between them but the distance between them on the other side is going to vary because of the curve whether they’re staggered or across from each other. Just wondering which would look better. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Personally if I was planting them I would be more focused on having them equally spaced apart on each side rather than having them aligned across the driveway.

But that's just my opinion, others may differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'd agree with coillsaille, even if it means having 4 on one side and 6 on the other, equally spaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 AMC123LM

That makes sense. I put in the stakes to get an idea of how it would look and on one side there’s a big gap and a few very small gaps between them. Looks a bit odd. Going to adjust the stakes on that side to 8m apart and see how it looks. Do you think 8m apart and 1.5m in from tarmac is ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Equally spacing them, which is definitely the way to go, will naturally stagger them so it answers both questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I'd go 9m+ apart as the spread of Tilia x europaea is 9 to 15m. Think about that spread over the driveway too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement