Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roadside Verge, Duty of Care?

• 04-08-2022 10:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

The OP of the below thread in the Motors forum damaged their car on a large stone when they drove their car onto someone's grass verge on a country road.

The simplistic answer would be that the driver is responsible for not hitting stones, but isn't is a bit more nuanced than that?

Councils are responsible for ensuring that roads are in a safe condition, and the same would go for any publicly accessible business, car park, etc. But how does this responsibility extend to a home?

Secondly, the prevailing thought on the thread is "It’s their property they can put what they like on it. You can’t dictate what someone can do on their private property."

How does this extend to reasonably foreseeable risks, specifically placing stones at the edge of the road? They act as a deterrent precisely because they are designed to cause damage, with the expectation that a driver will know this (which in itself is reasonable), but what about when things diverge from that initial condition?

It's foreseeable that grass will grow and obscure them. It's foreseeable that a car will drive on the grass. It's foreseeable that they could move for one reason or another and create a hazard on the road.

Obviously the specifics of this particular case can't be commented on, but in general, would there be any potential liability on a homeowner for such a tactic?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Essentially the home owner is responsible for anything they put on the verge - hidden stone for example. However you would have to prove they put it there - ie see them moving it for mowing etc.

Easy fix is don't park on someones verge - it gets messed up and you're not being very neighbourly. You can but then be prepared for them to put things on verge to stop it occurring.

If the wall was obscured by a hedge and you hit it, would you claim it was a hazard? Think the driver would be liable for any damage to the property rather than the other way round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

No, because the hedge in itself would very clearly present a hazard it itself. My question is about hazards which can be reasonably expected in particular scenario, as how liability might be determined in the case of a homeowner?

For example a different quality standard would be applied to a forest walk, than to a street pavement. A pavement slab sitting 5mm above the next one would be trip hazard, but 50mm stones on a forest walk would be entirely reasonable.

One side of the argument is "it's my private property I can do what I like" - does that cover placing a trip wire across the garden gate and telling the delivery person that they should have been more careful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

You’re not allowed to build anything within a meter of the roadside, walls etc for safety reasons. I’d imagine if the rocks were out there purposely and caused an issue the home owner may well have liability. It’s hard to know, but the things people do to protect a little bit of grass is nuts, everything from pots to boulders used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Kirving asks "Obviously the specifics of this particular case can't be commented on, but in general, would there be any potential liability on a homeowner for such a tactic? "

I would say potentially yes. Specifically, the householder cannot create a hazard in the highway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The property owner does not control anything beyond the boundary. Placing stones on the verge is littering and arguably a hazard.

It is an offence to park or drive on a verge only where there is a footway.

If people want to keep people off the roadway, build a footway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Stop driving on the verge then, the verges around my way are eaten away leaving dangerous ruts between the remaining grass and road tarmac, bit by bit the verge is reducing.

Advertisement