Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Tracker to Fixed Rate Mortgage

• 04-08-2022 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭

Bought a house last year, was able to take my tracker with PTSB and then take out another mortgage with them for the balance. As a result I have two mortgages with PTSB.

€129,275.38 - tracker portability mortgage, it was 1.25% but they slap on 1% for the privilege of keeping it! So the rate is 2.25% but will be increasing now to 2.75% after the ECB rate increase - 21 years left on term.

€123,225.06 - second mortgage, 5 years fixed @ 3% - there is 4 years left on it we bought last September - 24 years left on term.

Given that the tracker rate is just useless at the moment would you be inclined to jump ship onto a fixed rate for the next couple of years?

If I was still at the 1.25% I would not even dream about fixing as the rate would be low enough to absorb some interest rate rises but with a rate of 2.75% and more increases planned fixing is very attractive for 5 or 7 years. The rate increase up to 2.75% is increasing our mortgage by €31.62 per month.

I have attached the rates available to me at present. We have a C2 house but we have done some tweaks that could bring us up to the B3 range for the green rate but 7 years sees us paying less interest with a higher monthly repayment?

Any ideas or words of advice to help me make a decision would be appreciated.

Of course my Dad is telling me to fix for 7 years....he had a commercial mortgage and residential mortgage in the 80/90s so he knows what 33% rates look like!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

I could have written this post and have a very similar dilemma. ECB plans another two rate increases according to media quotes. So the 7 year fixed might look very attractive in a years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

Well yeah in a years time I reckon we could be up to around 4.25% and the repayments will have increased by €127.

But what happens after 7 years, I believe fixed rates offerings would be very high and the standard variable rate is not much better.

I'm thinking of keeping my tracker and riding the storm I have 21 years left on the mortgage, what goes up will always come down eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I also could have written this post. I wrote a very similar one a while back :)

I decided to fix and did so last month. Went with 5 year green at 2.8% but kind of regretting not going for 7 years at 3%.

Absolutely no regrets (bar the above) in fixing the mortgage. The decision was hanging over me for a few months, but once done, I was so glad. I know what my repayments will be each month. I aim to have the mortgage cleared early too, probably not within the 5 year fixed term, but hopefully I won't have to suffer for long with a high rate once this fixed term is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 bre26

Hi, I have a tracker and with the .50% interest rate rise I am still on 1.25 (tracker was 0.75%), would you advise I stick with the tracker for now, I have 11 years left, hoping to pay it off a couple of years earlier, thanks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

@bre26 I'd stay on that tracker if I was you. Even if the ECB goes up to 2% (which is where the ECB want) you'd be on 2.75%, there aren't many products on the market that can compare to that.

I was on ECB +2.25% like the op and recently switched to a 10 year fixed to protect myself against future rate hikes, I'll be hoping to have a small balance once the fixed period is up, as such I don't expect to be concerned with rates then.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I would stay put if I were you too. My (mover) tracker rate was already at 2.1% before I switched. Your rate is obviously much better.

Advertisement