Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 Blue screen loop, any fix?

Options
  • 04-08-2022 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, hope there is a good IT person out there. I'm not a novice here, just to make the point.

My son's laptop fairly good one i5 has developed this blue screen loop. We've tried all the solutions.

Solution no. 10 was resetting the pc. The option for resetting windows and keeping files was chosen,internal, not cloud. This failed to work also. Am starting to think it's hardware. I've tried resetting the registry, no joy. Dos prompt commands, brings back memories of windows 95!!, No joy. Short of using or booting through a usb device/s/w tool, this is where my expertise runs dry. Is there a boot up sequence from a usb that can seriously interrogate this and find the problem??

Many thanks in advance

Rich

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

What's the error on the bluescreen though? There should be a mostly text error message at the top, which would give some important insight into what's gone wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

You could try to use bootable USB to see if laptop will boot into windows as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

I don't think this really matters in this case but the txt is 'computer going into repair mode' .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

So it's not a BSOD crash, it's triggering the automated repair option. It doesn't immediately sound like a hardware issue, unless the drive has died. The repair should attempt a bunch of things, such as chkdsk etc. Have you allowed it to run through these?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Did you try to boot into safe mode ?

You could try to disable autorepair and see how it behave/ what will return.

bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled no

or

bcdedit /set {current} recoveryenabled no

bcdedit /set {current} recoveryenabled yes will restore

Win install corruption or drive failure possible

• Advertisement

Thanks for those.

Tried all the things in dos. Funny thing is, chkdsk couldn't finish some of the operation. Like the SSD was shot..

Many thanks for that. I'm so behind in Tec now, I would have had a solution 10 years ago 🤣. I'm only 55!!

It's a very slim Asus notebook laptop, I tried f2 etc, can't seem to get into the bios on startup. That's how bad I am now...and I used to dabble with the register .

I constantly keep getting distracted from this. Good weather doesn't help!

I do want to try the usb for bootable access if I can..

I restored the register and I get this

So I guess this needs sorting. Any ideas?

That's what I found

If I was you, I would try bootable USB, if boots up no problem, your hard drive could be fooked. If it doesn't boot, or give you same troubles, it will be something else definitely hardware related.

• Advertisement

Ok folks, good news. Well thankfully my hard drive was not fooked, like that one..lol..!

I had to create a usb bootable drive using the Microsoft tool, as per video link here on the thread. Thanks for that person's input. Much appreciated.

Funny thing, it wouldn't do a recommended settings, it came up with an error of some sort. I was wondering why, thought about it for a while, then I just went with the 'custom setup' . This worked. Hate all the extra talking the assistant does. Preferred the old days..ha. So my original copy of windows was actually genuine, ' genuinely '!! Seriously. So before I used to run into the problem of having to provide proof of this. Chicken and egg. It seems to have seen this. Bout time. Just as well as my son lost the dam key ..

His one drive has original files too, thank god. I would advise people to use one drive. Only good thing Microsoft have done over the years.

Thanks all for the help. This might help a few other people.

Rich.

That's great!

I would still run some software to check the state of the hard drive.

Good idea.

Advertisement