Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice - pay public or let them arrange via private?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭E30M3

You are saying that if someone wishes to take out Private Health Insurance they should lose the right to be treated as a public patient?

And they pay a Government levy for this privilege?

I disagree with your view

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

So if I pay my taxes like everybody else and then choose to pay for private HI as that should disqualify me from using the public system my taxes pay for. That interesting. What about if I have a permanent health insurance policy that will pay me lump sum if I develop certain conditions, should I have to spend that before I avail of the public health service

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

OK, to draw this thread back to the OPs issue.

This seems to be a useful post:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭masterboy123

My story of having a private health insurance:

I took VHI when I was 32 and, in the same year had an emergency procedure done. I was admitted via A&E and kept in a semi-private room. There were daily investigations and morning consultant reviews.

I was very happy that I had VHI. Because I realised I could have been in another room sharing with six others and where the consultant doesn't see patients daily.

And I paid zero euros. Although the VHI summary indicated, that the total hospital bill was around €5000. That day I decided to continue with VHI.

I do acknowledge that a semi-private/private room may not be available at all times

Advertisement