Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Together Now 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I'd have to agree that the dance music was fairly poor for my tastes bar a few acts and DJs. Far too much heavy techno. Had to walk around the entire site multiple times looking for something good on Saturday night, and couldn't find anything. Was wrecked from all the walking the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭endainoz

Oxegen lol, prefer commercial dance music then? 😂 Definitely a whack of rose tinted glasses there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭rubick

*cough cough*

No, definitely no such thing as a dance music snob.

*ahem*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I have to say I disagree totally. It's all subjective I guess based on what music you like, how you're feeling at the time, the people you are with, the crowd around you etc. But I actually thought this was the best ATN for dance music. In probably all 3 of the previous editions I would have agreed that it felt repetitive late at night but I thought there were great options. Sunday night for example I had the decision between Skatebard, James Murphy and New Jackson - all 3 acts I'd normally jump at the chance to see.

I'm disappointed for you that you didnt have a great one. We've exchanged many DMs over the years with recommendations and reviews on various festivals etc.

I thought a few areas had proper identities this time - PPD/ELG area seemed to be disco/house, Arcadia techno, big Djs on Lovely Days and SKOW, more commercial dance music in the bars like Schweppes and Rock shore. In previous years I thought it felt like a same kinda tech house sound across all stages. Both Djs I caught down at AVA in the woods were really good.

I would agree with whoever said that the muck was possibly a factor. Definitely on a few occasions I made a late night trek to a certain area and just by the time I got there my energy was gone and I decided it was time for something else.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

I had a great year this year - can only echo sentiments and issues already highlighted. Very poor choice at bars, cocktails were mostly rank, no one like rockshore - why oh why was it the only option. But I had plenty with me. Food was pricy but some great options and I'm a veggie.

Sound was some of the worst I heard and it's a pretty serious problem. Left sugababes halfway through because I literally couldn't hear a word, whole crowd around me chanting turn it up. Saw it happen on the bandstand also twice halfway though people's sets and there was nothing they could do. Mad!

Iggy pop was my biggest surprise, I saw him a million years ago supporting madonna at slane but he was so good, band were excellent musicians. The pit at the scratch was my favourite thing all weekend but my god did I pay for it sunday - legs were bad enough with the mud haha!

Some other highlights were jealous of the birds, ezra collective, warmdusher and toisin. Thought lorde put on a great show. I'm not into dance music but wandered into arcade early to be mesmerised by the sexy robots. Saw the lightning guy trying to get going Friday night in the rain and looking devo when he was told no. Seen pics of him so he must of got to perform over the weekend!

Huge garda presence, a bit unsettling. Read they were trying to even catch people on their way home in the whatsapp group. Bit mean like! Could use that presence in dublin city centre ya know.

My group saw lots of people with chairs in the main arena. With everyone's legs in bits a couple of them chanced it on the sunday and nothing was said, so they were able to enjoy Sunday a bit more and chill in the seats when they got tired.

Got in and out with complete ease just avoiding peak times and it was 10 mins exactly from car to tent and 5 mins from tent to bandstand area so that was great.

Noticed someone called beak a highlight. Left halfway through, the amount of whinging coming from your man was depressing and its Sunday night and I'm tired, give me a boost here! Literally put me to bed, thought they were awful haha.

Overall had a great time, would 100% go back but the sound issues are critical, there were too many for it to be an accident and they have to be fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

I must be a right weirdo!! I really like Rockshore cider so i was made up that this was the option. i have a deep hatred for that chemical sh1te Bulmers.

This time last week we were all full of hope and excitement!! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭sh89000

Didn't catch overmono but heard good things.

Would people recommend seeing them at their vicar st. Gig in oct?

Also...any threads on gigs in Dublin? Been up here two years and am loving getting to go so many gigs not booking days off.....but its always my favourite acts in vicar st, olympia, 3 arena were I know the setlist inside out.

Would love to see smaller unknown acts in whelans....Button factory.....grand social etc more regularly.

👍

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭homosapien91

yeah thats what we got as well on Friday and Saturday and they were gorgeous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

The promoter's mailing lists are a good way of keeping up with what's on the way, Foggy Notions, Singular Artists etc

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Ruanmcg

People saying there was no good dance music or not a good selection of dance music clearly aren't very knowledgeable about it... For heavier stuff (Techno) there was CiCi, Dylan Fogarty, Helena Hauff, Robert Hood. On Thursday at Arcadia the DJs pumped out Jungle and solid Drum and Bass for the last few hours. Spray and Sally C upended the forest on Saturday with progressive house and trance. Ema is probably Ireland's best contemporary purveyor of UK sounds like UKG, Dubstep etc, she played a class set that got a massive turnout despite clashing with Jamie XX... Rob Rua, Rise Up Soundsystem and others brought jungle/uk bass vibes all day on Friday at Cambium club. Long Island Sound played a gorgeous sunset set on Sunday night with melodic tech-house and breaks. At ELG there was solid house vibes any time I went there (usually late at night). Partiboi 69 for ravey breaks/electro. Daphni, Palms Trax, Chaos in the CBD, Barry Can't Swim all playing lighter dance music. James Murphy, **** Robot and Skatebard for the eclectic buzz.

Arguably could do with more Techno, as there wasn't a huge amount of straight Techno DJs (but that is probably to be expected as it probably draws a slightly different crowd). Other then that though, what more could you really want? You're never going to get much hard techno at a festival such as this as it's too niche. There was a solid selection of dance music DJs this year. The stages were often too crowded which definitely hindered the buzz and atmosphere but that's nothing to do with the bookings or genres being played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Ruanmcg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Please bare with me folks, working on review, trying to put into words Caribou's music at the moment, so Saturday nearly done and moving onto Sunday.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Hard to put that epic set into words in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Boooourns

All country and western music sounds the same. All pop music sounds the same. All heavy metal sounds the same. All rock music sounds the same. All dance music sounds the same.

Except it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

My wife literally cannot tell the difference between Céilí music and Lankum / Kila / Altan / any other trad style band.

It all sounds the same to her ear (she hates it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Very good reading in these review, would agree with a lot of it.

We had a great time. It was our second year going after 2022 and it was a blast. But there's a few things the organisers could work on to make it even better.

We went down with our two kids who are at the older end of the 0-12 bracket, so no issues carting them around and they're well able to stay up reasonably late and they love music and even found the mud quite a novelty. So they were easily kept more than entertained by the likes of Jessie Ware, Sugababes, Caribou and especially Lorde, who I thought was absolutely sensational, surprised some are saying they didn't enjoy it at all. It was an all-killer-no-filler setlist and she is thrillingly intense on stage. I did note the big screens were lagging slightly behind which may have created a weird experience for those further back. We were in the front row so less of an issue and she sounded great too. With the sun setting during her set it was pretty magical.

I would suggest one thing missing is maybe something aimed at older kids. The Kids Together area is very much for the tinies, our two girls wouldn't even go in. A few workshops (graffiti, DJing, that sort of thing) aimed at the 9-12 bracket would be well received. Our youngest did the kids' cook-off in the grub circus and had a blast. They loved the bumper cars too, a great addition!

Lots of the pros and cons well documented above so I won't labour them again. Mud, ground management, sound issues, Arcadia Bug and Ping Pong disco placement all offset against great vibes, fun crowd, great lineup and surprisingly great Guinness, all points well made elsewhere in the thread. We did have to do some running repairs on our tent on Saturday morning, which was mildly stressful but we pulled it off and the weather did start to pick up from there.

I was dying to see Lankum so I split from the fam at Jessie W (terrible clash, they should have kept those two apart) and had to miss Free Yourself, but it meant I got in close enough the the front that the sound issues weren't too detrimental. There were definitely issues, but I thought their greatness shone through in any case. They really are a remarkable band. That was less the case for Black Country, New Road the following day; they seemed distracted and cranky with the sound, and because they're playing all new stuff, which is quite proggy, and not the brilliant likes of Chaos Space Marine and Good Will Hunting that made their reputation, it felt a bit like doing homework. One other minor disappointment: Sorcha Richardson is a lovely songwriter, but would have benefited from being in a more intimate setting.

Other highlights: Caribou was amazing obviously, Fight Like Apes was a blast of nostalgia and they played all their best tunes. Biig Piig seemed like a star in waiting and Iggy Pop was a fitting send-off for the main stage. Lots of other good bits and pieces too. Yard, Cruel Sister, some random stuff at the Last City and the drag show at Dough Bros was a lark. Also Tommy Tiernan & David MacSavage's brunch on the bandstand and the Grub Circus was a nice way to start the day; we took in cocktail making and a talk about coffee.

There's a good bit for the organisers to think about for next year: being more prepared for the weather, the layout will certainly get a re-do and they could do with some better signage. Agree on requirement for more chillout areas. We wanted to decompress once or twice and it felt like the only place to go was back to the campsite for an hour. By the time you trudge there and trudge back a lot of the decompression window has closed. A couple of family camping issues: the family parking was effectively used as 'everyone parking' which meant that although we arrived at 2pm on Saturday we were left parking way up from the entrance. They would do well to remember that those with kids usually have a bit more stuff to lug, and if they say they are offering family parking, then they should offer it! We were also given poor directions to the Family Campsite on entry that effectively left us walking two sides of a triangle instead of one; not ideal when you're all weighed down carrying stuff. I just hope they can learn the right lessons and keep what makes the festival great before the commercials take over. It's a great size, a beautiful location, thoughtfully put together, they get really good, interesting acts and seem to have enough budget for a bit of international star power. Keep the magic!

Was it as good as last year? A close run thing. There was probably nothing quite on Nick Cave's level, but I thought Lankum matched Self Esteem last year in the 'catching a band just as they're having a huge moment' stakes. The kids were a year older and probably able for a bit more this time around. A brilliant time had by all four of us and we will return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Opposites attract and all that!

One of our first dates many moons ago, I took her to a Whipping Boy gig. She jumped up on her seat when Fearghal screamed and jumped off the stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Ha! I was the opposite. Far too much House/Disco, lightweight shite, and Techno that went nowhere (looking at you Helena Hauff). In fairness Robert Hood sounded great but i was enjoying him from my tent at that stage🙄

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Boooourns

😁 My wife was the same about Lankum, she had no interest in seeing them but I told her to just give it a chance. She ended up loving it, she could see and hear the difference between the usual trad and what Lankum do with it.

Brought her into see The Scratch as well but she had no interest in that, it's heavy in fairness but it's good to listen to another layer of the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jellybeano

@Dreamweapon

Techno that went nowhere (looking at you Helena Hauff). 

I dunno. Depends where you want your techno to go 😂 I thought Helena played a tight set, for the bit I saw before Le Boom. Different strokes eh? Her head was obviously wrecked though from the fella taking photos up in her face 😂

On the subject of music going nowhere, Kelly Lee Owens is the one for me. Just not my cuppa.

However, LB aka Labat was very enjoyable on Saturday night. Delighted he played Prozak’s remix of Pump it. Not strictly techno but a banger nonetheless. Dylan Fogarty on Friday played some very decent techno too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Did anyone brave the storm for Partiboi69 on Friday? Now that was good fun.

Post edited by Pudsy33 on

Phuck sake just lost three quarters of my blog review, have to start all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Always look forward to your post festival reviews BD. Had no idea David Kitt is New Jackson.

Interesting article here on some of the issues people with impacted mobility experienced at the festival. https://www.thejournal.ie/all-together-now-disabled-access-6139956-Aug2023/

A great and honest review BD, the situation with security not having any common sense needs to be looked at for sure, particularly with the bad conditions at the time.

They'll have to sort this quickly, incredibly bad PR for them if not addressed.

Absolutely. Imagine having David Kitt playing your festival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Jemmy Button

The dust has settled on another great festival at Curraghmore. I say dust even though it rained and it got muddy especially on Saturday of course. Reading the comments here the only advice I can give the majority here is to try and squeeze the marrow from the bones of life a bit more. Festivals aren't so much about things/amenities but rather the connection between those things/amenities. What I'm getting at is what strikes me about is ATN is the life affirming conversations I have with people while walking walking around the place from stage to stage regardless of the merits of the act I'm on the way to see or conditions underfoot.

I did a thought experiment today and imagined if there had been a forum for Woodstock back in the day: I'm sure all of you would of painted a picture of a utterly miserable affair. And perhaps it was for many but try and look beyond the general griping and see more a general narrative of a festival has to offer and the reason we are there: to connect to something larger than ourselves. Untill next year take care xx

P.s Overmono, Iggy Pop, Robert Hood and Billy Bragg rocked my world.

Advertisement