Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing boundary hedge with a fence

Options
  • 05-08-2022 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭

My elderly Mum wants to replace the boundary hedge with the neighbour who is agreeable to it. A concrete wall seems too expensive and therefore a fence is probably the way to go. They have no concrete pillars obviously so if they are thinking of a fence I presume they will need the pillars and the base. I saw smart fences online ihttps://www.countrylife.ie/shop/product/Smartfence-Panel/9118950 in a green colour. Are these any good? It says there low maintenance i.e don't need to be painted and obviously won't rot over time if it was a wooden fence. The back and other side of her garden is a wall. Would a fence look out of place in her garden with a wall at the back and other side? Any opinions or feedback would be appreciated. Also if anyone knows someone who would supply and fit the concrete pillars and base in Dublin please post the details.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am willing to offer a couple of thoughts OP, though I have no actual experience of these fence panels.

As to whether it will look ok with two walls and a fence, I don't see why not. Lots of gardens have different types of boundary treatments on different sides and look fine.

On the panels, I have no experience of them as I said. However I would hate the look of a plastic fence. They are apparently plastic covered steel. I doubt they have been around long enough to know how they will last but I am not seeing the 25 years they guarantee - the guarantee might be worth closer investigation. They also appear to be solid so no wind at all will get through them, which will put strain on the fence and posts, and cause turbulence in the garden.

As I said, this is my uninformed opinion and may well be worth nothing, others may have more positive things to say about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭xeresod

I've got 10+ years out of the cheap wooden panels (first on the list here at €36.... Garden Fencing | Timber Fence Panels | Dublin | Wicklow - Abwood) without doing any maintenance and neighbours have got much longer out of them by staining/painting every few years.

I replaced it with the second one shown on that link at €51 which are pressure treated and much thicker/stronger wood which has held up much better and still looks like new after 6 years.

Have a look around and go with pressure treated so no maintenance is necessary - €163.50 for a panel with only a 25 year guarantee really doesn't seem worth it especially when you add the cost of the concrete pillars and boards too, in fact it would be cheaper to build a block wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

One point with a fence on an old hedge line, you may need really deep or large post holes filled with a lot of concrete. The reason is on some soil types the hedge can completely suck all the moisture out of the soil leaving it so dry that the sides of the holes keep falling in when you did them and leaving the soil with no holding power.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks folks for all the responses. The hedge was removed but the stumps are still there. Would a landscaper be able to grind them down and would anyone suggest someone to do it on the Northside of Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I wouldn't go to the expense of removing the stumps but I'd cut them close the ground.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

Sometimes if stumps are big and close together worthwhile to remove. We often leave 5ft of tree trunk for leverage and dig out where possible. A spade and axe great if you have the energy!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GalwayMan74

"in fact it would be cheaper to build a block wall!"

I doubt it.

Advertisement