Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another massive Electricity Bill

Options

Comments

Yeah like others here, I have worked in the sector. That level of consumption in the summer (without the customer knowing what it is) indicates a fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kraft.l

Ok thanks, cant believe that amount is being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

That's a good start, so the meter is definitely correct.

Also, it stopped dead, so the switch you switched off probably isolated the "issue" also.

Or, if there is a "Cuckoo Circuit" attached (upstream of the switch) it wasn't active during your test.

To learn a bit more, try turning off everything in your apartment to see how many revs. per minute the meter is "trickling" at compared to being stopped when the main switch is off.

Thanks I'll do that, what's revs per min?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I lived in an apartment years ago (old house split into 3 rental units with separate metres) with a hot water system for showers similar to what you have in picture 3 with the timer. The day we moved out everything was unplugged and switched off and we took a final metre reading and sent it on to the landlords agent. We did notice that the click on this particular timer was still keeping time and you could hear it moving. About a week later we met the landlords agent to get our deposit back. At that stage the metre had increased by about 15 units. The only thing both of us could put it down to was the timer. As it happened I had taken a picture of the metre before leaving so it didn't become an issue.

I guess should keep those switches off then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Gooser14

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

You should be able to see a mark somewhere on the turning wheel (black? red?) so you can use a stop watch to count the seconds taken for it to come around again.

It may be moving too slow and taking ages to do a full turn but the idea is to get an idea of what's happening.

If for instance it takes 30 seconds to do a full turn, you'll know that the "trickle" current corresponds to 2 revs. per min.

Maybe someone else here knows how revs. per min. can be related to units used?

Love this thread. But part of me thinks OP is pulling our collective leg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

You said you haven't used heaters in 2 months, but your night usage is showing units used?

If you have storage heaters with a second fast heater fitted within (known by 2 switches on wall), the second heater uses your day meter, whether on at night or day. Just in case not aware.

Deleted. Realised this was about a fault, and not rates.

Storage heater switch on the mains is switched off.

The storage heater is one large heater in the living area, the other heaters are ones that were drilled into the wall and are small digital electric heaters, one in each bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Turn off the power for 24 hours and see if any of your neighbours complain about having no power.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Hi Folks,

Please see below. Any help greatly appreciated. This is my last bill. Am I being overcharged? The usage doesn't seem that high to me. Over 68 days about 14.3 units per day. Thanks

Ouch. Have you switched in the last year? The standing charge is high... and the units are also high .30. You could literally pick any provider and switch and save money. If you have already switched in the last 12 months then im sorry - that is not a nice tariff.

If i was you = I would immediately request a Day/Night meter. I would then look at the usage of the big stuff outside of cooking - and try and shift that load to evening time. That would save a considerable amount... night rates can be around .10 compared to .30.

Thanks. No haven't switched. Have arrears on the bill at the moment of about 500 euro not including this bill so they have me by the balls at the moment. The electric shower is a massive issue anyway. Literally cutting back on showers and getting kids to spend a shorter period in it. Washing cycles changed to after 23:00 etc. Mad stuff.

I'll have to call BGE today and figure something out with them because this isn't sustainable much longer.

The day night meter switch will cost u nothing. The ESB does it - so try schedule it in. Having said that - i am open to correction here - are they still swapping 24 hour meters for Day Night? or is it only Smart Meters?

Well BGE were of no use at all. That's the best Tariff they are willing to offer me. I'll have to find a way to change.

• Advertisement

Your previous bill was based on estimated usage & your usage may have been underestimated. To avoid estimated bills you should always submit your meter readings every 56 to 60 days.

You should be switching provider every 12 months if your current provider isn't prepared to match the best deals available from other providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

You dont display billing period.

your usage is as it is - review rating of your 24/7 appliances - old fridge could be G rated, etc

Your PSO show for 3 months - not sure why, is this three month bill?.

You on standard Rural 24H with bordgais(edit: i guess) paying cach(or didn't got discount for DD) - no reason changing your wash time - its same all the time any time. Changing to day/night might save you somewhat depending on time usage, however ....

...for best expirience, clear your arrears and switch ASAP - you would be saving ~650 per year*

check bonkers, i put you on 5500 kWh per year

Post edited by smuggler.ie on

Yeh I know. Issue is the arrears currently on bill. No able to clear them at the moment. So the outstanding amount is 850 at the moment or so.

BTW, not certain about switching provider while in arrears - would it be restricted/rejected? New provider might ask for deposit ~€300

What BGE said is if I switch providers they would be might be willing to set up a payment plan for the arrears with me. So I don't think the arrears follow the account.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Get a small loan and clear it, then switch. It's just punishing you for not paying it off at this point, the longer you go, the more you are going to pay.

No it would not follow, its yours owed to BGE. But new provider will be checking your credit history and might ask for deposit. Check T's&C's

With regards to switching to a day/night meter you should note that your day unit price will increase slightly but the night unit price will be substantially less. For it to be of benifit to you at least 25% of your usage will need to be at the night rate. With a standard day/night meter the lower unit price times are midnight to 9 am during summer time & 11 pm to 8 am during winter time.

Regarding your bill arrears, is it possible to get a Credit Union loan to clear the arrears & thereby enabling you to switch supplier.

Yeh i'll probably get onto the Credit Union today at this stage. Can't keep having these bills coming in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Advertisement