Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Banshees Of Inisherin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭the 12 th man

Whiff of the Ian Baileys off Gleeson with the hat and long coat I thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I took it that each of the 4 main characters took their decision on how they were going to "spend the rest of their days" a-la Colm.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,237 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Nice twist all the same that only 1 of those characters died and it was the least expected a bit. So the 2 deaths meant the Donkey and Keoghans Character

• Registered Users Posts: 15,471 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

There’s a film called The Field based on a play by John B Keane it came out around 1990

its far superior than this film which is ok in lots of respects but the plot is really weak

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Must be very niche. Never heard of it. Would be surprised if anyone else here has heard of it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,598 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I saw this a few days ago. Thought it was good but not great.

I didn't really get the point of the civil war references...like the relationship between the two main characters was supposed to mirror that in some way...but never really got it. I also didn't get the point of the confessional references to despair...never really fleshed out enough.

Mostly I found the humour jarring, especially later on as the plot itself got darker. The scene which ended with a joke about 'the same bread van' is a good example of what i am talking about - just as the narrative around Colin Farrell's character descending into revenge/taking action for the first time is developing momentum, it gets knocked back by a cheap joke. There was a lot of that I thought.

Didn't think Colin Farrell's performance was great either..he just doesn't have the gravitas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I felt like it could have been brilliant but wasn’t.

I found the humour quite naff and just not funny. I wish it had been left out and there had just been a concentration on the really dark and thought provoking storylines which were more Irish than the diddly eye jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,001 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

must be doing quite well, not a ticket to be had all weekend in the Stella in Rathmines

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

I will view this picture in the auditorium next week. If it underwhelms I will consider Marty to be an average film maker who caught lightening in a bottle once and never came close to making anything remotely as good ever again.

I would rank his brothers Cavalry and Guard over his post In Bruges duds. I just hope Innisherin is a return to form for Marty who I have liked since seeing his excellent short film Six Shooter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I’ll skip this , I hated Calvary, three billboards and seven psychopaths and while good , I’ve always felt In Bruges is over rated

• Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I thought Barry Keoghan was really bad in it, like it was something from a local drama group. He's a decent enough actor but this was dreadful stuff

Ending was a bit of an anti climax dreadful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

Just back from seeing this, what a dissapointment. Unremittingly bleak depressing nonsense. Yet another laughably overrated McDonagh film, what have those guys ever done to get such unwarranted praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

I really enjoyed this even though it was bleak, even watched the Field the day before to really get me depressed.

Kerry Condon was excellent in it, love to see her in more front in center is future projects, colin was also a standout.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,963 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Keoghan was actually excellent. My heart broke for his poor simple minded character, with loads of potential (his use of really intelligent language at times), just abused and ignored until the final, albeit gentle, rejection from Siobhan sent him to his death.

I'm not generally impressed by Keoghan, but I think this was a tour de force actually and I wouldn't be surprised to see award season nominations in the supporting categories.

As for the film itself, it isn't meant to be resolved or satisfying, just a mirror put up to life. The isolation of man, reflected in the Civil War raging across the narrows. Loss and loneliness.

I went to see it last night and I may go once more to pick up some of the nuances I probably missed the first time.

Yes its bleak, yes its a nod to The Field albeit in the black comedy mode. More than a little nod to Samuel Beckett too.

Open your minds and your hearts to it, its a great film.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I'd say you're right. Civil war divide and all even the character that says it was great when we were killing the english much simpler.

I found it funny especially the first half. Even towards the end I was laughing out loud but I was on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Saw this last night and while I wouldn't say I disliked it, I certainly didn't like it. McDonagh is a weird one really, personally I enjoyed 7 Psychopaths most of all his work but that seems to be his least critically popular movie🤷‍♂️

Anyway, the bleakness didn't really resonate with me and tbh I spent most of the movie waiting for something to happen.

I will say the acting was superb, Keoghan in particular I thought was excellent and up til now I've hated him in anything I've seen him in.

I'd always gauge my enjoyment of a movie by asking if I'd ever want to watch it again and for this, it's a resounding no.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Lip Out

An absolute masterclass of a film deserving of any accolades coming its way. Perhaps it won't appeal to the Marvel generation but for proper film enthusiasts, it's a must see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

What a load of pretentious, self fellating twaddle. Personally I've never sat through an entire marvel movie and I'd rather lick the sole of my shoe having trod in dog poo than do so. Proper film enthusiasts. For **** sake. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I never understand the impulse to offer a snide little swipe at anyone who disagrees with you. It’s not just completely toxic to actual discussion, but also entirely undermines any other point being made in the post.

Some people like the film, some don’t. It’s really as simple as that.

If that was about Lip's comment, it wasnt directed at an individual here, its a variation on, if you want to see more niche movies go see them in the cinema or else they will keep making Marvel movies, which I think is fair enough

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

The best part of this film was the silence and facial expressions imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Keoghan was the best thing about the movie imo. His portrayal of Dominic was excellent.

I'd seen the comments here, I thought he was great too, he was clearly playing a character that was on the spectrum , and for being the "village idiot" his character had good insights into the other characters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

McDonagh’s writing and Keoghan’s performance strike a fine balance - Dominic’s character is obviously a lot to take, but at heart he’s a decent, lonely and troubled person just trying to find his way. It’s a really interesting and dramatically potent contrast with the Colm / Paraic relationship, and I think we get a valuable insight into Paraic as a character through his interactions with Dominic too. It’s clearly an abrasive performance from Keoghan, but I think that’s cleverly used to wrong foot the audience because it clearly transpires he’s a character deserving of basic decency and sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Aurelian

I found putting "feck" between every second word terribly clichéd. A bit diddly aye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I thought he was excellent, alright...

but can someone tell me, did his dad kill him?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,332 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm tempted to see this but my last few visits to the cinema have been ruined by morons and their phones. I'm honestly starting to see for the first time why people pirate things. Watched In Bruges on Netflix recently. Might be better to wait.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,049 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I don't think so, I took it he may have fell in drunk after his chat up of Siobhan by the lake or suicide

Advertisement