Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to grass over bare patches left after digging...

Options
  • 06-08-2022 7:23am

...had a digger on our garden in recent days, laying pipework and removing some decades old vegetable boxes and features.

Now we have pretty extensive bare patches. I don't want to put down grass seed and see it come up a completely different colour. Do I just let it grow in from the sides (some of the patches are metres wide). Is there any way to encourage natural grass growth?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I had the same thing. I levelled it and left it to get on with it. Because the area is supposedly lawn but is in fact mostly buttercup, clover and similar weeds it grew across - with weeds. It is very similar to the rest of the area and does not bother me, but I think in your case I would be inclined to make an effort to figure out what kind of grass the rest of the area is and re-seed it. It may take a couple of years to look natural, but if you just leave it it will grow weeds.

If there are any compressed areas - and its dry enough at the moment that there may not be - do dig them to soften the soil.

Thanks, think I will take your advice and re-seed. The patches are too big and can see them getting covered in everything but grass! Figuring out what it is might be tricky as the gardens are decades old, I might see if the local garden centre has any thoughts.

Advertisement