Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows 7 french to english

• 06-08-2022 10:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭

How to change windows 7 to english from french ? , any advice is welcome, ,i bought a windows 7 laptop, the language is set to french , by going to control panel, settings, langue,language i added english /usa, to the language, so using google translate french to english , so in settings,langue, language, it says anglais,usa ,

and french .i looked on google i can only find 2 or 3 videos, but they involve downloading windows 7 language packs,

i,m sure i can just go to control panel,settings, and just delete the french language ,and leave english as the standard os language,when i go to control panel,

the menus,are in french,

when i go to menu,start, 90 per cent of the menus are in english,

Post edited by riclad on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The laptop works fine apart from its language is French it's a secondhand laptop , I'd prefer not to have to reinstall windows 7, I can use chrome, play mp3s and Mp4 files on vlc player.

I should be able to delete French language and just leave English as the main language, its hard to figure out this as all the menus in control panel are in French,

I just intend to use this laptop for YouTube and playing podcasts or Mp4 files

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

English menu

In french:

Control panel

Region and languages

and from there

1 . if English is installed, just select from drop menu. You will be prompted to sign out to apply.

2 . if not installed, go download and install from win optional updates

I have English USA , anglais installed, the thing i, d like to do is remove French completely, I can acess, the control panel, language , langue, section but I can't work out how to remove French language, eg all the control panel menus are in French, most start menu items, apps are in English,

I like the laptop, I like windows 7, I don't use it for email or any finance banking apps so I don't intend to upgrade to windows 11 even if its free and I have no desire to setup a Microsoft account

I think it should be possible to remove or disable the French language without downloading any language pack if I could work out how to navigate the control panel, language, langue section

Thanks for the advice

If original was french - you might not be able remove it, you can add.

Below - default was EN and uninstall option is disabled, but see for yourself ....

Once "converted" to english, even if not able to remove french, shouldn't bother you. All should be in EN.

You might have to change some other settings - locale e.g.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,989 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'd be wary about doing anything on an internet connected second hand laptop without a fresh install.

At the very minimum, some kind of reset. But I don't know how thorough those are.

even LAN connected.... but what do i know, it was not the question asked

Also, doubt it would support Win11, Win10 at best...

I only intend to use it for vlc player, music, mp3 ,podcasts ,i like windows 7,its easy to use, i have no personal data on it, i use no banking apps,i,m not expecting it to be secure like windows 10,i dont, send any messages ,or use messaging apps on it. if i wish to browse the web i use my phone or my pc. theres no way it would support windows 11 anyway ,eg i think the cpu is dual core 2.0ghz 4gig ram,.i understand windows 7 is not secure ,and is not being updated with monthly security updates ,i cant be bothered doing a new windows 7 installation since theres no personal data on it.it has all the windows apps i need ,vlc player, music player etc i don,t use it on wifi or lan network.

Its not just that Win7 no longer supported/no sec patches. Is not "your system" and you know little-to-nothing what was/is installed/modded on it

To use it as media player you will have to get media on to it = connect external storage/transfer files. Same external storage will be connected back and forward to your PC/LAN. That might be enough to "catch/spread" some crap.

Not trying to frighten you, its your call...

i have no pc lan, i have no wifi, i just transfer mp3,s , media to the laptop using an sdcard reader .i dont have broadband, just 4g mobile .

i use my phone to browse the web.

• Advertisement

Even if someone hacks the pc it's registered to Joe bloggs, location unknown, my name is not Joe bloggs, no financial data on the pc, no bank info, no passwords, no email belonging to me, used on this laptop that I ever used, its just used as a music, mp3 player media player device . It my as well be a new install as there's no user info on it pertaining to me I understand Windows is not a safe os to use, in 2022, if you want to use banking apps, email, or any social media apps or any app that has personal data. Or user info, passwords. You should upgrade to windows 10 or install Linux if you want to use a pc on a lan network or WiFi network

Post edited by riclad on

Advertisement