Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Previous Landlord References ?!

Options
  • 06-08-2022 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for a complete house for rent for myself, I have been look for a while and everyone seems to be asking for landlord references.

Can I know if these are previous owner numbers, or some letter. If the latter, what is the letter suppose to contain ?

Thank You

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bitent

That's standard practice.

You should ideally ask for a letter from the landlord or agent upon leaving previous accomodation.

It would just state that you were a tenant of the landlord and that they recommend you as a trustworthy person who paid the rent.

The phone number of the landlord/agent should be included noting that they can be contacted for further information.

Professional agencies will give you one on request with headed paper containing the business logo etc.

Individuals that are landlords can do the same also.

If it's hard to pin down the person you rented from to write such a letter then often a phone number will suffice.

However, in this day and age of extremely fierce competition to obtain rental accomodation, an official letter from a known and registered auctioneer/letting agent definitely helps you stand out.

Nothing is impossible though so best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭huud

Appreciate clarifying all that, very helpful.

Thank You @bitent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I have managed to rent 4 or 5 different houses in the past few years and never supplied any reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,698 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Yes you'll get to someone who doesn't believe in the reference codology and be away for slates. Alternatively in a few months things may start recessing again and we'll be back to "why wont someone please rent my lovely little housheen"

I suspect the op will find a lot more who do believe in the benefit of, and requirement for references. Until such time as available properties are plentiful, the LL gets to set the minimum requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

No matter if it's about work or renting a property references are always a problem.

In the case of renting, I wouldn't be able to provide any references at all. I am currently an owner, intending to sell and would be renting for around one year.

How would that work out in practice? Is that completely impossible?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bitent

Estate agents are looking for everything they can get these days. It helps them narrow down the massive amount of applications from people.

I've literally been asked for payslips to prove income and when I refused to provide those, I was ghosted.

Private landlords can tend to be a bit more flexible. Both can potentially let you off so to speak, but they are taking a risk with nobody vouching for you.

At the present time there are no shortages of people looking for accommodation so if someone else has what you don't, then it puts you at a disadvantage.

I have been told by a top ranking official in a government body that he could potentially provide me with a good character reference as he knows me for years.

This is an angle you could take if you were stuck. If somebody high up is willing to stick their neck out for you then it might just be enough to swing it in your favour. Do you know or have you had any dealings with a local politician for example?.

Work references are quite important also.

It was said earlier in the thread that it's possible to do this without any references and of course this is true. It's a case by case basis.

One man I rented from who is a private landlord just liked the cut off me and had no interest in seeing anything.

Ideally, if you can't provide them with references, I'd look for the private landlord who just wants to get it sorted. Be your genuine self/look the part and you could well be lucky.

Estate agents are a little trickier these days.

Many people out there will give advice to you in good faith and bless them for that but if they haven't moved in the last 6 months to a year then they can't possibly speak on the chaos that is the rental market now.

I have had three different places in two years all due to landlords selling so I've learned a thing or two.

Two other tips for you. When you search Daft, create an actual username rather than just be a guest.

When you search the area you are looking for you can then heart or like the search and receive email notifications everytime a property is listed. Often places go up and down within an hour, sometimes 15 minutes.

The other thing I'd say is don't be picky whatsoever. I've heard of people refusing a house due to there not being a power shower. Absolute madness and I wonder if those people are now in hostels like I was for three months.

I really wish you the best of luck with this. You'll get it sorted.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the detailed update on this.

Initially, it'll most likely just come down to a room possibly with an en suite and sharing the rest rather than an official renting / letting agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Not necessarily. The fact that you owned a property would stand you in good stead. If you are in full time employment you could ask your employer to provide a reference for you. If you are not in full time employment and looking only for a short term lease you would need to demonstrate proof of funds like providing bank statements to demonstrate how you intend paying the rent. It's unfortunate that many letting agents tend to discriminate in favour of those in well paid, secure employment. You would be better off dealing with landlords who are handling the vetting process themselves although these are in the minority these days.

Thanks for all the input.

My current experience is the market is short of houses to rent, and people post ads for houses, then not reply, but renew the ad (on Daft) ?!

It’s a beauty contest huud, you can be sure that the owner/EA is being bombarded with applicants. When you apply, you need to be able to supply references, details of workplace, no pets, non smoker etc etc if you want to stand a chance.

You asked what should be in the reference letter, ideally that you are an excellent/reliable tenant who kept the property clean, handed it back in good condition, paid your rent on time etc, also ask previous LL if it is ok for new LL to phone him/her to validate the reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Its carnage out there, I started renting my current apartment about 6 months ago. Even getting viewings is proving difficult these days but to get my current place I showed up to a viewing with my employer reference, two payslips, landlord reference and bank statements showing proof of savings to cover a few months rent all printed out in a lovely little folder which I was able to hand to the estate agent at the viewing. I was at the back of a queue of about 25 people waiting to view the place but still got it, it really pays to have all that stuff ready to show at a viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭global23214124

You could probably forge one and put the number of a friend on it and get them to give their little speal. Most landlords/agencies don't follow up with the number anyway and just want it to prove you've rented before.

I've honestly done that one before and would also recommend it.

I don't think it has any legal implications as well.

You just need another phone number and e-mail address.

I mention I have all references required, professional and landlord in written and signed (will take these), don't smoke, don't drink, don't party.

Will print take bank statements, payslips as well (thanks for adding that), have a viewing on Fri.

Thanks again for all the input but the point was that if bombarded with emails for an ad, what is the need/point to renew the ad, does not make sense because wihtout a doubt the poster won't be able to go through all the emails received.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

I agree I'm not sure what the point of renewing ads for rentals that are already gone or viewed is. It could be its not the actual letting agent who is renewing the ads on daft, just someone working admin in the office who doesn't know if they've been rented yet or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It is potentially an offence under the theft act. If you are looking for sharing, most sharers want people like themselves. Saying you have owned a house before would be a negative to a lot of sharers.

• Advertisement

It's most likely illegal, but giving the housing crisis Dublin has, I doubt that any court will convict you on this.

The pressure of being homeless out on the streets vs having a place to live by far outweighs the offence.

As you are selling your home, I struggle to see why a judge would categorise you alongside those who are genuinely homeless.

It would be a sale of a property in a different country and a move to Ireland. As I have no chain of reference for landlords and they'd keep insisting, I would have to invent one. Also, it's unclear by when that property in a different country would sell, so it might be some time before I could ever consider buying.

Lies are one thing, but lies under extreme circumstances something else.

A lie is a lie. People are entitled to be protected from liars. a good excuse only goes to mitigation, not conviction. If you are convicted of an offence of dishonesty, forget about entering the United States again or indeed many other countries.

I think in this case the courts would have to convict an awful lot of people. There are probably not enough judges and juries around.....

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

Honestly just make one up. Zero comeback you'll get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

While it would be dishonest to invent a reference from a previous landlord what criminal law would it break?

I'm a believing muslim, and lying is not in a believer's book or character (regardless of the situation) because if Allah wanted he'd easily make the situation more difficult than it already is (specifically for me).

Given my experience with always telling the truth, I have not faced any issues till date, even where it would have cost me (never cost me anything till date, Alhumdulillah).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

This is probably among the best advice to give the OP. You have to stand out from the crowd- it is carnage out there, landlords and houseshares have never been in as high demand. Doing up a little package to sell yourself to a letting agent- makes life easy for the letting agent and hopefully you'll be seen as the preferred tenant.

• Advertisement

Section 6 of the Theft and Fraud Offences Act 2001 to start with. Section 25 of the same act for another.

Advertisement